Buff Barred Cochin Thread

Does anyone have day old chicks from good quality Buff Bantam Cochins or Buff Barred Bantam Cochins they could ship to zip code 62025? Only 1 chick hatched from my dozen of Buff Barred eggs and my little chick is lonely.
sad.png
I have 3 wk old Marans that look like monsters next to him and my next hatch won't be until the 21st. Ugghhh, these mail order eggs are so unpredictable.
My first Cochin @ 3 days old
love.gif

Cute chick!

Good luck.. I have MF Cochin chicks right now but I couldn't ship them this time of the year.. You might try to put him in with just one of the Marans?

Does anyone have day old chicks from good quality Buff Bantam Cochins or Buff Barred Bantam Cochins they could ship to zip code 62025? Only 1 chick hatched from my dozen of Buff Barred eggs and my little chick is lonely.
sad.png
I have 3 wk old Marans that look like monsters next to him and my next hatch won't be until the 21st. Ugghhh, these mail order eggs are so unpredictable.
My first Cochin @ 3 days old
love.gif

Totally adorable!!!
love.gif

Just to put my 2 cents worth: Note, when dealing with buff barred from my experience is that you will get light and dark from breeding buff barred to buff barred or buff and it is very hard to control dark and light barring, I assume that is just a part of breeding buff in general. I would just suggest breeding the darkest to darkest. This spring I will be breeding a couple of light barred to barred hens just to see the out come.

Just to put my 2 cents worth: Note, when dealing with buff barred from my experience is that you will get light and dark from breeding buff barred to buff barred or buff and it is very hard to control dark and light barring, I assume that is just a part of breeding buff in general. I would just suggest breeding the darkest to darkest. This spring I will be breeding a couple of light barred to barred hens just to see the out come.
I'm so glad to hear this from you Steve as you have been working longer on this color than I have. I also have a light (double barred) roo over Buff & Buff Barred Pullets this month. I have eggs in the bator so only time will tell.

I wish mine were laying! I want, want, want some babies so I can experiment with the breeding, too. I can't wait for some Dynamite babies!!!

Thank you everyone for all the input! I have yet to get a chance to read my Color Genetics chapters about barring but I hope to slow down and get there before breeding season.

I wish mine were laying! I want, want, want some babies so I can experiment with the breeding, too. I can't wait for some Dynamite babies!!!

Thank you everyone for all the input! I have yet to get a chance to read my Color Genetics chapters about barring but I hope to slow down and get there before breeding season.
Amy,

I haven't hatched "anything" since last May. I have a hatch due on Christmas Eve & one on New Years Eve. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't wait~!

Quote:
I almost can't stand not to hatch! I try not to but then I must go into some sort of coma and set trays and trays of eggs! LOL

I know you have been powerful busy this year but now you have help and can enjoy some little sweeties! It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful Christmas present and start the New Year with an amazing blast! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom