Bully Hen

Well the verdict is in...
"Bunny" the bully hen is staying!
AshlyMommaWard you saved our family!
I put the victim hen back in last week and let "Bunny" spend the week in solitude. My original hen's reintroduction was a little rough, and everyone decided to take pot-shots at her. But, as you had hoped, my rooster stepped up to the plate and kept everyone in check. I stood in there for about half an hour watching, and then went and checked on them a couple more times before dark. One of the times he intervened, he did the most hilarious side-step run at them. I just about peed my pants laughing. It was priceless to watch.
On Saturday, I put the bully in a dog crate in the coop (it was pouring rain, so didn't want to put her in the run) and left her there for a couple hours. When she came out, she went straight for food and ate quietly while a couple took some inconsequential pecks to the back of her neck. The original victim hen circled her in a seemingly menacing way, but they didn't tangle. The roo came in and, as soon as she saw him, she dropped to the floor, he mounted her, and then strutted around. She got picked on a little, but nothing serious. I distracted them all by tossing a TON of cracked corn down, and then came back an hour later and scattered a bunch of carrot chunks all over the place (making sure I had more than enough for everyone).
The original bloodshed was during laying time, so I went in this morning and tossed some more raw veggies about, and then checked on them two more times before noon, and then again now. Everyone is great, and I even saw my originals and newbies mingling together outside--as opposed to everyone being on opposite corners of the coop.
The feeling of relief is HUGE! I was fully prepared to pass her on, but I just didn't want to give up so easily since she lived so peacefully with her clan before.
I hope that my experience, with your help, will help others too. It took a lot of patience, so I'm so grateful that it was a happy ending.
Claudine
And since my update above, I have done some further reading and had to laugh when I read that Easter Eggers are friendly birds. "Bunny," the bully is an EE. And by the way, when you name a chicken "bunny" and a duck "turtle," it can be confusing for a three year-old. LOL!

Last edited:
Update.

All has been going really well with everyone until yesterday.

I found my original victim (her name is Laverne BTW) sitting in one of the nesting boxes while everyone else was roosted. I thought maybe she was broody, but the eggs in with her were all cool. Tonight, I found her sitting on the ground in a corner with her back to everyone and very lethargic.

We checked to see if she was egg bound, but there's nothing in there. I let her soak in a warm bath for about half an hour, dried her off, and have now snuggled her down in my shower stall. During her soak, I've been reading, reading, reading. The only thing I can come up with is what someone told me about the importance of quarantine when introducing new chickens: "Stress can cause otherwise healthy chickens to become ill. A virus that was laying dormant in their system can become active and wipe out your entire flock. Thus the reason for quarantine."

I researched Marek's disease, and it doesn't seem like a fit. She's lethargic and wheezing.

The soft-hearted, animal-loving, optimist in me is praying that Laverne will feel better soon. Shirley is going to be lost without her. :(

Wheezing... Does her breathing sound rattled if you put your ear to her? Any bubbles from around her eyes? Respiratory infections/diseases are much, much more common than egg bound-ness. Some scientists & veterinarians say it's found in 80-90% of backyard flocks. I have experience treating and can lend advise if she is showing symptoms mentioned above.

Last edited:
Sad update. Laverne has gone to the chicken coop in the sky.

AshlyMommaWard, she did have the rattling breathing. When I was carrying her in last night, it was really noticeable. Even though she's gone, I would still like to hear your advice (or a link to something existing so that you don't have to type so much).

She took a good amount of water from me via syringe before I went to bed, and seemed to really appreciate it. Maybe I was just a day too late. Now I know to watch my flock better. I'm just glad she was safe and warm in with us for her passing.

I'm praying not, but if she did in fact have an upper respiratory infection or disease you'll likely see symptoms in more of your birds. Mg and ms (different forms of mycoplasma) are heavily present in backyard flocks and there is a bit of controversy of what to do if you suspect that's what you're dealing with. I know the treatment method, if you have any more pop up with symptoms. Watch for bubbles around eyes, swelling around eyes and rattled breathing, loss of egg production in any effected birds. You can do a quick search on here and you'll find tons of threads about it. Many folks choose to cull the entire flock when they have either mg or ms. Any bird you bring in, that isn't already infected that is, will get sick as infected birds remain carries for life. Any birds you sell will infect other's so that's an ethical no no. If you don't have any more show symptoms, I'd say she was a one off and mg or ms is not the culprit.
Wishing for the best.

Back
Top Bottom