BYC Café

Some I took east in Oct...just lovely dogs.

Attachments

• GEB Oct 2019 Nathan head study.jpg
    GEB Oct 2019 Nathan head study.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 2
  • GEB Oct 2019 Nathan1.jpg
    GEB Oct 2019 Nathan1.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 2
  • GEB Oct 2019 GSD.jpg
    GEB Oct 2019 GSD.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 2020628
Bella is trying her hand at being a lap dog.
She did this immediately after Mogwai hooked into her face catching her gums just because Bella was licking her head.
I called her over to pet her and she crawled half way onto the couch. Then Fuji bit her in the face.
Poor Bella! She never ever shows the slightest amount of aggression from any of this.
Sweet girl.

Kelsey, it's a process with many checks and balances along the way. The pups are evaluated informally from birth to 8 weeks. At 8 weeks they are formally evaluated and matched with a person who has applied to be a raiser (and who has completed the puppy-raising classes). The raiser works with the pup and takes it to class each week where the ongoing evaluation continues. On rare occasion, pups can be "released" for various reasons....for example, chronic ear infections or some other health concern. They don't want the visually-impaired handler to have to deal with issues. After 18 months with the raisers....I take them back to NY to guide dog school where they undergo training specific to being a guide. When they are ready, they are matched with a visually impaired handler who comes and stays at the school and the team is coached until they are ready to manage on their own. Raisers are invited to attend graduation. And raisers are kept informed as to their pup's progress (I think they get an annual report). When the dog is ready to retire, the raiser has the opportunity to adopt.
As a transporter, I am not kept in the loop.....it's too many for me to keep track of. If there's a specific one I'm interested in I can check on them. Some pups are pulled and sent to the breeding kennel. It's a fabulous organization. My first transport was Dec. 2010.....and I feel privileged to contribute in that small way to the work they do.

It sure sounds like an intensive process but a great group! :)

And that makes sense! I guess you do transport quite a few puppies haha

One question, sorry if this is stupid or random, wouldn’t the handler want to keep the dog after having it for so long? Or do they make them turn them in? I knew someone who kept their retired guide and I watched as they got matched with a new guide and everything but I think it was a different organization. Of course the retired one couldn’t work and they had to hand in the old harness but did get to keep the dog.

Maybe the raiders get asked if the handlers don’t want them?

Seems like a great org though.

Here's third pup from this run...sweet, quiet boy but I wasn't able to get a good pic. It's like trying to take a photo of a fish while you are reeling them in!.....they seldom get far enough away from you to get a shot. I do try to take pics of pups and the 18 mo old pups and I send them to the raisers.

That’s wonderful you do that :love I bet the appreciate it!! Will be taking these pups back too or will someone else do it since you’re moving?

One question, sorry if this is stupid or random, wouldn’t the handler want to keep the dog after having it for so long? Or do they make them turn them in? I knew someone who kept their retired guide and I watched as they got matched with a new guide and everything but I think it was a different organization. Of course the retired one couldn’t work and they had to hand in the old harness but did get to keep the dog.

That’s wonderful you do that :love I bet the appreciate it!! Will be taking these pups back too or will someone else do it since you’re moving?
Do you mean does the visually impaired handler get to keep the dog? I want to say no....but I'm not positive about that. I know this organization has $50,000 invested in each guide dog by the time they are placed with a visually impaired handler.....and all at no cost. They also have a program for dogs used with Autistic kids.
I've brought several retired dogs back to their raisers after they have done their work for years. It's always emotional for raisers.....and for me. The dog has faithfully helped a person have a fuller life.....and now getting old and needs to "just be a dog". The reunions between these dogs and their raisers is always a tear-jerker.

After I move I will be 2 hours away from them instead of 10. I am hoping to continue to volunteer for them.

Do you mean does the visually impaired handler get to keep the dog? I want to say no....but I'm not positive about that. I know this organization has $50,000 invested in each guide dog by the time they are placed with a visually impaired handler.....and all at no cost. They also have a program for dogs used with Autistic kids.
I've brought several retired dogs back to their raisers after they have done their work for years. It's always emotional for raisers.....and for me. The dog has faithfully helped a person have a fuller life.....and now getting old and needs to "just be a dog". The reunions between these dogs and their raisers is always a tear-jerker.

Oh wow that’s amazing! :love

Back
Top Bottom