BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

agreed. It would be great if you edited those posts with some of these...
  • What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else
There’s not really any evidence needed. It’s a known fact. 💅

Bantam cochin

they just have such a strong personality, fiesty but sweet. mine snuggles with me 24/7 and NEVER had a bantam cochin bite me EVER.

honestly, it would just be my experience with bantam cochins, especially emily. I do think @The-White-Elephant would agree with me though ;)

emily will snuggle with me all the time, is never mean to me, i love her, when i would be chasing off a squrriel, she runs with me as if she scared it off. then runs after them, to. She sits in my lap and is very good mannered, i would recommend them to first time owners and children, though i strongly think any chicken (or animals, even) should be held by a young child if they have no experience and are rough. Not to mention, bantam cochins are just plain adorable!

im not to sure, i havent really had experience in owning bad breeds persay, my mutts can be aggressive and bully emily, but never to me and they dont do it often.

bantam cochins are the best :love

i could go on forever why bantam cochins are so amazing. And people still claim to say chickens dont have personality!
great!

View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
All chicKen breeds can be super friendly if given the proper time and attention. But some are more likely to then others. I personally have experience with easter Eggers, rhode island red's, and silkies.

I had a rooster called little red. He was the sweetest rooster we had. He followed me around, sat in my lap, came when called. He was a heritage rhode island red. Not every rhode island red will be so friendly, it really depends on the individual.

Easter Eggers can also be super friendly. I didn't really put any time into socializing them but they are more then happy to approach me for food and treats. Our Easter egger rooster, big red is great to. He doesn't like being held but will put up with it. If I had put as much time into socializing him as I did with my silkies he would have made an excellent lap chicken.

Next are the silkies. They are some of my most sociable birds. All will hang out with me and let me pet them. But there is one that I hand raised since chick hood that actually proffers me over other chickens. She comes to her name, follows me, will leave her flock to come to me.

Ameracana
1650301144090.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom