BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
Salmon Faverolles don’t run away, are very chill birds. So, I think they might have a spot here. However, we tried SF from 3 separate lines, but had to get rid of them bc they were too chill for our mixed flock, and kept getting picked on, and wouldn’t even walk away!! But lap-pet? A definite contender!

BA- we’ve had some nice ones a few years ago. We haven’t had any for a couple of years, but bought BA chicks this year- we will see how friendly these are once they are grown. The ones we had before never caused trouble in the flock, and laid well, calm.

Buff Orpington: friendly, calm. Not sure I ever witnessed them causing trouble or even running anywhere. They did their chicken thing, and would allow us to pet them/hold them.
whats a BA again? :oops:

Sebrights. Mine are the only birds I have so far that willingly let me touch then without being sick. Every other bird I have is flighty, especially my cochins and silkies.

Cornish bantam males are a bit calmer than the females, but obviously not everyone can just have pet males
I am hoping to get some sebrights soon, I've heard they are very friendly!

Thanks for the tag! Hmmm. I've had a good handful of breeds. Eack breed might have their disposition bug each chicken is an individual. So my opinion is based on personal experience.

Seramas are the friendliest breed I encountered. With a calm temperament and enjoy being loved on. They seem not to be afraid of anything and do not mind being in the company humans.

Orpingtons I find are the meanest breeds. More so the roosters. Roosters have no problem picking a fight with humans or each other, including hens. The hens are cruel to each other and can be standoffish to humans. Plus I find they have the most health problems.

Back
Top Bottom