BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
Old english game bantams in my experience are the most friendly chickens all around.
And here's proof! TD listening to story time on my lap.
20220417_165527.jpg

Over the past couple years I haven't had the opportunity to spend as much time with my chickens. As a result many of my chickens, especially the younger ones, are wilder. But my Hollands have remained super friendly! I socialized with them as a group for maybe 20 minutes per day (with treats involved) for their first couple weeks and they never forgot that. And the roosters are calm, friendly, and nice to me and the girls too! Never tried to attack me in any way, which is more than I can say even for silkies!

I've raised silkies and one Cochin bantam, and countless birds from hatcheries. When I consistently spent lots of time with just a select few, those few became friendly. The others would be more skittish. My Hollands are the only ones who all remained friendly with minimal socializing from me.

I should also note that only a couple of my chickens have ever been chill with me holding them. The Hollands really don't mind that much. They don't struggle as much as other breeds I have kept, and once I have them in my arms they are perfectly fine. I only had one Holland out of 21 who was skittish and had a bad temperament.

My WTB is by far my friendliest chicken! She camps out anywhere she can to have a chat. On my leg or on the arm of my chair if I'm sitting with them, or if I'm scooping the poop boards she gets up on the roost and makes sure I'm doing a good job 😉🤣 She is very easy to handle and has never given me any problems (except when she was a pullet, she was a bit wild until she started laying 🤣)

Attachments

• 20220201_170850.jpg
    20220201_170850.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211121_135850.jpg
    20211121_135850.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 2
I have 3 Black Australorp hens, 2 Blue Australorp pullets (unless they're Blue JGs), and a Jubilee Orpington pullet.

I had a Buff Orpington rooster who died last weekend; he was definitely NOT friendly to me, though he was good to and with the girls.

3 Black Aussies... 3 different personalities. One may become more friendly now that the roo is gone. One is cautious around me, and the third is downright skittish.

One of the Blues is my most friendly bird, and I hope she becomes more so, now that the roo isn't there to stop it. The other is distant. The Jubilee Orp might become more friendly over time.

Since these are the only chickens I've had, I can't really compare them to any other breeds. By force of numbers (5 to 1), the Aussies are better examples of friendliness. I didn't handle these birds a lot as chicks, and I think that was a mistake on my part. I think they'd be friendlier if I had. And if my roo hadn't been around to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom