BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
Honestly so far all of mine are pretty sweet (polish, frizzles, black australorp, silkie) they all are super friendly and snuggle etc out of them all 1 of my polish and both my australorp are the most snuggly so far

'Magpie ' breed, we've got one and she's the friendliest we've got.
Mostly ours (Welsummer, Buttercup & Cream LegBar) don't mind being picked up but our 'Magpie' is the one who sits on your arm or even shoulder !
Most 'unfriendly' we have had (in our 13yrs) was 'Ronnie' our constantly bullying/pecking 'BlueBell', we tried isolation then reintroduction, we even had her beak trimmed by a vet but it regrew so fitted beak guards but nothing worked - never had another, and we know people who've had similar problems......

My besties right now are my barred rocks all three are super sweet and are lap chickens. I have 9 mystery chicks and three more rocks in the brooder so maybe it will change. The black sex links and RIR are fine to bathe and handle but don't enjoy it as much.I hope I have a buff or some lovers in this new batch

My black australorp has probably been my nicest chicken. But also I had a black sex link that was kinda a “crabby” chicken at first but then she got hurt and so I had to be with her all the time and the more time I spent with her the more she liked people. so she became such a nice chicken and loved people. So if you spend time with your chickens and give them treats and stuff they’ll probably end up being nice

Why do you think this?​
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else
Friendliest breed: Bielefelders

Why? They are noted for being docile, friendly and curious birds. Roosters are not known as being human aggressive.

Evidence:
1. Breed standard at
https://cs-tf.com/bielefelder-chicken/
2. KC Farms bielefelder series (YouTube)-can’t seem to link it but check it out.
3. Friends have a few bielefelders and tell me how great they are around children, even the roo.

My bielefelder experience:
I did a crap ton of research on breeds before deciding on these guys. I wanted big, dual purpose, friendly hens and a rooster that is not prone to attack me.
My chicks are just 5 days old but they already coming running when they hear my voice. They are not shy. My little cockerel is the smallest cotton ball of affection (so far).

Most unfriendly breed:
I have no personal experience with unfriendly breeds but anecdotal reports from friends agree that RIR, especially rooster, is not very friendly. Although in RIR defense, a quick YouTube search for chickens chasing children is evidence that nearly any chicken breed can have a bad attitude day (except Bielefelder :love)

Anything else:
Go Team Bielefelder

Back
Top Bottom