BYC Member Interview - CSolis

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@CSolis

Come say hello to @CSolis! She's been a member since May 2020 and comes to us from Alabama.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
I'm 71 and just got into raising chickens roughly 3 years ago. It's been a learning experience for me, but I find this forum super helpful in many ways. I spent 14 years in the Air Force moving around and wasn't able to have animals, which I was used to growing up. I finally settled down in LA (Lower Alabama), cleared property I had purchased and found a huge chain linked dog pen in the brush. Hmmmmm, what to do with it.. CHICKENS!
The name comes from Cindy Solis.. just so much easier for me to remember.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
About 3 years ago. I was in Tractor Supply during chick days and heard the peeps. I bought 6 Black Sex Link Pullets. That was my first experience on learning how to sex BSLs...5 of the 6 were Roos!

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
Hatching.. Hatching and Hatching! It's addictive. I've been so blessed to have paired my birds up to create my own line of colored birds. Quality is moving up too. These are silkies and silkie crosses I'm working on now.
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 11.17.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 11.17.57 PM.png

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
My hen Mara, a BCM, due to her friendliness. She follows me around like a puppy looking for treats. Bruce, who is a son of my BR Roo because he's a giant of a bird, but so polite and a good flock leader.
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 11.20.39 PM.png

And White Cloud, a Silkie x EE mix.. She loves cuddles.

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
Funny is when you go in a pen and everyone is eager to hop on top of you. Oreo (a bantam female) would be the first to reach my shoulder and peck my cheek.

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two 6 months old kittens that are Black Ghost (Black Tabby) Tuxedos. I always look like I parachuted into a briar patch from them thinking I'm a tree. Whitey Sox, broke his femur and had to have surgery to pin it back together, so he's the most expensive cat I've ever owned. I've had dogs up until recently when I lost my Gator to cancer. I've also raised Horses and Goats in the past.

7. Is there anything you'd like to add?
Just love coming here and learning new things and seeing photos of other owners flocks. Some times I see a color or pattern or breed I would love to have.

@CSolis

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:
introducing-vip-member-interviews

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom