BYC Member Interview - Hope Hughes. ** UPDATE 03-24-24 page 6 **

Awe I will have to watch it! If our life was filmed everyday it would be on the comedy channel 🤦🏼‍♀️🤪

Just lastnight we were wrestling 3 wild hogs from a trap to a catch box, why i didnt film it is beyond me! All i know is i definitely need to do more cardio and film our crazy adventures 🤣
That was my life growing up, my mother said she wanted to write a book about everything that happened on the farm but she never did, there was some crazy stuff happening all the time! I do have a few 8mm films of blowing cedar trees up outta the ground with dynamite! ...pretty cool!!! Another time my half tame raccoon got loose in the house and got into a kitchen drawer, when my mother opened the drawer the coon came out and wasn't exactly happy....neither was the coon!!🤣 It then got on top of the stove, gas stove, as I was trying to get a cage up on the stove to get it into it, the burner got turned on and the coons tail caught fire! It was sad but also comical because the coon was slapping it's tail trying to put the fire out! :gig My mom made me take the coon outside and let it go back to the wild....such was the life of a country boy!:lol:

Last edited:
** UPDATE on @Hope Hughes 03-24-24 **

It's been several years since @Hope Hughes member interview was first posted; let's catch up with Hope!

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.
Not a whole lot has changed in this category of my life..

● We still live on our 42 acres in N. Florida, growing our homestead-ish way of life.
●My babies are no longer babies 😭 youngest just turned 6 and oldest will be 8 this year! Hubs is ready for another one 🤣
●We still have an airboat business here thats doing fairly well and we have met alot of amazing people because of it.
●I am still a SAHM that is now Homeschooling the girls too. The world is just a scary, not right place(in alot of places)

View attachment 3780529

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?
I still have the crazy chicken addiction 🤪 currently on hand:

●27 Bantam Cochins- I hatch out about 30 each year and gift, keep or sell them i cant resist the cuteness! (As i have 20 in the incubator and 8 under a mama 😅 )Out of all the chicken breeds I have ever owned these are byfar the best all around. Good layers, good mamas, good temperaments, just a great breed!
●28 Full-Size and other bantams
●9 adult ducks and 2 ducklings and 50 eggs in the incubator 🙄 i might need to revoke my husbands ebay rights!
●30 Bob Whites
●20 Cotornix

(I can definitely share photos of them all if people want to see!)

●We had pigs at one point and decided they were just too big to have at the time we had them. We had 2, 500+ lb GOS's that would always find a way to escape but you could just yell at them and they would go back, 2 Berkshires, 2 White(? No idea the breed) and 2 other smaller breed pigs. We do plan on getting more pigs just a bit smaller breed easier to handle but still good for meat. Definitely looking into getting Kunekunes in the near future.

●I am currently also addicted to rabbits now, as if I didn't have enough! We raise them for meat, but keep the selected few for breeding and the girls, of course, have their pets out of them. We currently have 15, and I will breed the 4 females about twice or 3 times a year give or take. I breed them to sell and eat.
View attachment 3780531

7. Anything else you would like to add:
Where we live we get the best of both worlds we get to go to the rivers and springs, lakes and ponds and hit the coast for salt water fun. We enjoy fishing, hunting and anything in nature. Our girls share the same love for animals, the outdoor, hunting and fishing.
View attachment 3780532

I am also still huge into gardening and plants I have over 80 house plants in my house and a huge garden for veggies and fruits. As well as a huge green house. Although since we got hit with that Cat 5 hurricane last October I have had to start from scratch on the garden, building new beds and fixing what was destroyed. But still have veggies growing! One bed at a time!

Since that hurricane we bought a saw mill to cut our own lumber from the downed trees everywhere so they wouldnt go to waste. Its somthing else knowing that you made your own wood, from the trees on your land and then built something out of it.
View attachment 3780533
I loved your updated interview and enjoyed getting to know more about you. Thanks for sharing, :)

** UPDATE on @Hope Hughes 03-24-24 **

It's been several years since @Hope Hughes member interview was first posted; let's catch up with Hope!

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.
Not a whole lot has changed in this category of my life..

● We still live on our 42 acres in N. Florida, growing our homestead-ish way of life.
●My babies are no longer babies 😭 youngest just turned 6 and oldest will be 8 this year! Hubs is ready for another one 🤣
●We still have an airboat business here thats doing fairly well and we have met alot of amazing people because of it.
●I am still a SAHM that is now Homeschooling the girls too. The world is just a scary, not right place(in alot of places)

View attachment 3780529

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?
I still have the crazy chicken addiction 🤪 currently on hand:

●27 Bantam Cochins- I hatch out about 30 each year and gift, keep or sell them i cant resist the cuteness! (As i have 20 in the incubator and 8 under a mama 😅 )Out of all the chicken breeds I have ever owned these are byfar the best all around. Good layers, good mamas, good temperaments, just a great breed!
●28 Full-Size and other bantams
●9 adult ducks and 2 ducklings and 50 eggs in the incubator 🙄 i might need to revoke my husbands ebay rights!
●30 Bob Whites
●20 Cotornix

(I can definitely share photos of them all if people want to see!)

●We had pigs at one point and decided they were just too big to have at the time we had them. We had 2, 500+ lb GOS's that would always find a way to escape but you could just yell at them and they would go back, 2 Berkshires, 2 White(? No idea the breed) and 2 other smaller breed pigs. We do plan on getting more pigs just a bit smaller breed easier to handle but still good for meat. Definitely looking into getting Kunekunes in the near future.

●I am currently also addicted to rabbits now, as if I didn't have enough! We raise them for meat, but keep the selected few for breeding and the girls, of course, have their pets out of them. We currently have 15, and I will breed the 4 females about twice or 3 times a year give or take. I breed them to sell and eat.
View attachment 3780531

7. Anything else you would like to add:
Where we live we get the best of both worlds we get to go to the rivers and springs, lakes and ponds and hit the coast for salt water fun. We enjoy fishing, hunting and anything in nature. Our girls share the same love for animals, the outdoor, hunting and fishing.
View attachment 3780532

I am also still huge into gardening and plants I have over 80 house plants in my house and a huge garden for veggies and fruits. As well as a huge green house. Although since we got hit with that Cat 5 hurricane last October I have had to start from scratch on the garden, building new beds and fixing what was destroyed. But still have veggies growing! One bed at a time!

Since that hurricane we bought a saw mill to cut our own lumber from the downed trees everywhere so they wouldnt go to waste. Its somthing else knowing that you made your own wood, from the trees on your land and then built something out of it.
View attachment 3780533
No way the girls are that old! I remember you being pregnant!

That was my life growing up, my mother said she wanted to write a book about everything that happened on the farm but she never did, there was some crazy stuff happening all the time! I do have a few 8mm films of blowing cedar trees up outta the ground with dynamite! ...pretty cool!!! Another time my half tame raccoon got loose in the house and got into a kitchen drawer, when my mother opened the drawer the coon came out and wasn't exactly happy....neither was the coon!!🤣 It then got on top of the stove, gas stove, as I was trying to get a cage up on the stove to get it into it, the burner got turned on and the coons tail caught fire! It was sad but also comical because the coon was slapping it's tail trying to put the fire out! :gig My mom made me take the coon outside and let it go back to the wild....such was the life of a country boy!:lol:
🤣 omg your mothers face must have been priceless!!!

Ahh the good ole days! We have days like that here every week, its what makes us, us. And i rather have that then what kids are doing these days!

Back
Top Bottom