BYC Member Interview - Sylvester017

Very nice interview! Glad to get to know you a bit more. And yes, I too laughed at your fan-loving silkie! :D

My sister is a fan of ducks and geese and has paintings of them hung in her home rather than pics of relatives -- teehee! I love 'em too except our urban backyard is not big enough for more than 5 hens/no roos per ordinance. It's a good thing there are ordinances or my small yard would be full of geese, ducks, chickens, keets, peacocks, quails, and doves!!! As it is, the backyard is full of wild birds -- Mourning Doves, House Sparrows, Crows, Brewer's Blackbirds, House Finches, and Phoebes!

We're a bird-loving family. Even vultures and aerial predators are amazing (just not in our backyard!) They are all amusing in some way -- once had a Cooper's hawk crash into our chicken run to get at a hen and knocked itself out cold -- dazed but flew off again. Wish we had a camera shot of that!

Our fan-loving Silkie was in-house as a chick til old enough to integrate with the adult hens. This pic shows her escaping the back door and running to the lawn! She's wearing her red chick diaper :lau
DSCN3160.JPG

My sister is a fan of ducks and geese and has paintings of them hung in her home rather than pics of relatives -- teehee! I love 'em too except our urban backyard is not big enough for more than 5 hens/no roos per ordinance. It's a good thing there are ordinances or my small yard would be full of geese, ducks, chickens, keets, peacocks, quails, and doves!!! As it is, the backyard is full of wild birds -- Mourning Doves, House Sparrows, Crows, Brewer's Blackbirds, House Finches, and Phoebes!

We're a bird-loving family. Even vultures and aerial predators are amazing (just not in our backyard!) They are all amusing in some way -- once had a Cooper's hawk crash into our chicken run to get at a hen and knocked itself out cold -- dazed but flew off again. Wish we had a camera shot of that!

Our fan-loving Silkie was in-house as a chick til old enough to integrate with the adult hens. This pic shows her escaping the back door and running to the lawn! She's wearing her red chick diaper :lau
View attachment 3767005

That would have been surprising to see a hawk crashing into the chicken run! Animals are so entertaining, you have some good stories that prove that!

View attachment 3767005
Nice to know a bit more about you @Sylvester017 . I can't stop laughing about this photo of your little silkie running around with her red diaper on. :lol:

Its so nice to meet you, Sylvester! You must have had the most intelligent silkie ever known.
TY janiedoe!

Yep, that's so funny cuz Silkies are not the sharpest tack in the carton -- they're either timid, jump in mid-air for no reason, vocalize complaints nearly non-stop, go wandering off alone, or go broody at the drop of a dime every 3rd day!

But we've had the good luck to have our first intelligent fan-loving Black Silkie back in 2011. Currently we hit the jackpot again with a smart Blue Silkie chick. We ordered 3 DNA-sexed females in January this year. She's the littlest youngest chick of the 3. She was never timid from the day we brought her home and she was the first to run around the brooder and discovered the feed and waterer first, she was never timid about trying new treats, she was calm when DH taught her to step up into his palm, and handling her in the Judges' Hold is a dream. She's tiny but mighty!
NEW CHICKS 4  01-17-2024.jpg

NEW CHICKS 3  01-17-2024.jpg

NEW CHICKS 2  01-17-2024.jpg

"BETTA" continues to be a sweet calm unafraid chick. We love her slippered feet :love
BETTA 15  03-24-2024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom