BYC Member Interview - triciayoung

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@triciayoung

Come say hello to @triciayoung who has been a member since October 2022 and comes to us from South Carolina.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
My member name is my name (really creative, right? :)). I live in South Carolina, but was raised in Michigan. I lived in Washington State for 12-years and New England for 10-years. I have an MBA in Healthcare Management and was a CEO for several different type of large surgical practices until recently. Now I am a consultant for private practice start-ups. I am married and have 3-children and 5-grandchildren.

2. Why and when did you start keeping poultry?
I started raising poultry 2-years ago. It was my husband who wanted chickens to be more "self-sustainable". However, it was me who took care of them and then fell in love, and don't really care how many eggs they lay. In fact, the less the better so they live longer. I have 5-rescues, 1-rooster, 3-lavender orphington's and one severely disabled barred olive egger. I also have a disabled easter egger. We have 22 in total, with 3- being roosters.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
I love their personalities. Every one of them has a unique personality that somehow fits well together with the flock. I love to watch them go about their day scratching and pecking. It is very therapeutic and peaceful to watch them. My chickens are very spoiled. They have air conditioning and heat when needed (I do not do heat unless it gets into the teens). They have an 18x8 foot coop, and a 40x60 foot run with hard tops in some area and hawk netting in other area, and hardware cloth with aprons, for walls.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
I have a speckled sussex that will be 2-years old soon. Her name is Lucy. She is everyone's favorite because she is so friendly. In the flock, she is too friendly and sometimes gets bullied. My SS roosters are some of my favorites also. Roosters are more like dogs. They appreciate time spent with them, they love when you are nice and respectful to them, and they are very empathetic.

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
We saw someone stop a car in front of our house and dump a baby kitten. We went looking for it but could not find it. The next evening, we went out to put the chickens away and they were playing with the kitten. I didn't have my phone and neither did anyone else, so we didn't get pictures. We figured out where the kitten came into the run, which let us know we had a problem with our hardware cloth in that area. My step-son kept the kitten and she is now 6-months old.

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
Until New Years Eve I had two dogs. An Akita, my best friend, that I raised from 8-weeks old in 2011. He died on New Year Eve. I also have a pit bull that I rescued when my neighbor in Massachusetts died and no one wanted the pit bull. She is now 8-years old.

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I really appreciate the help I have received from the great people at BYC. I particularly want to thank the greeters who consistently and tirelessly greet new members. It is a great commitment to be a greeter and I appreciate their dedication.

Beyonce and babies
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 6.55.58 AM.png

Caroline and Grace
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 6.57.18 AM.png

Lucy
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 6.58.11 AM.png

Milo
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 6.59.14 AM.png

Penny on Kaidens bed
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.01.04 AM.png

Quinn and Janie
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.02.04 AM.png

Silkies
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.03.11 AM.png

Standard Coop Front
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.04.17 AM.png

Stella Pretty
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.05.17 AM.png

Molly
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.06.06 AM.png

Yoshi
Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 7.07.14 AM.png

@triciayoung

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews

@triciayoung Wonderful interview Tricia! Your flock photos are beautiful, ❤ your birds look so happy and content. 😊 So sorry for the loss of your dog, :hugs they become family members, it's tough on the heart when they pass.

Never lose your passion for caring for all the Earths creatures, being a voice for the voiceless. You have a pure heart of gold. 💛

I enjoyed your story from beginning to end. I am sorry that you lost your sweet Akita; it's so hard to let go of a piece of your heart.

Very nice of the kitten to help you improve your flock's safety. I LOVE the photos.

Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you. Yoshi was my best friend. The last year of his life, I had to give him injections and medication every 8-hours - and it took a few hours a day to do this task, and I couldn't go anywhere. I would have done it for the rest of my life if I could keep him with me. I have not stopped crying for long since he passed and begged God to take away some of this unbearable pain. 4- days after my Yoshi passed, I received a text message from my end-of-life vet, Alyssa. She screenshot a message she received from Ashley, the founder of Anakin's Trails in Greenville (a dog trapping and rescue) - thanking my vet for making a donation in Yoshi's name (my vet makes a donation to some organization every time she loses a dog). Then Ashley said she used the donation to get medical care for an Akita puppy that was shot by a man that didn't want the 4-akita puppies in his yard. Her rescue picked them up and she was caring for the one that was shot. The puppies were dumped and out on their own for awhile.

Well, as only God can do million to one odds, He did. Yoshi was my vets first Akita (7-years in practice). The rescued Akita's were Anakin Trails first Akita rescue (3-years rescuing 5-10 dogs per day), and the donation made by my vet to Anakin Trails - knowing nothing of the rescue - was made in my Yoshi's name.

Keko, the one that was shot - is now with me.

Attachments

• keko and kaiden.jpg
    keko and kaiden.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom