BYC members in Massachusetts?

About a week ago we were driving to Boston and there was a dead fisher cat on the side of the road, first time I've ever seen one. Never thought they would live so close to such a big city
hmm.png

I'm just over the border in RI, and we have them here. My mom lives in south county ri and has encountered them on the bike path.

I think it's just a matter of how rural things are where you are.

Wow that would be scary to see them in person! My mom saw one in the Plymouth state forest years ago when she was driving home after she dropped me off to go camping, crossed right in front of her.

And that's the weird thing, it's not really that rural here and our particular neighborhood we're surrounded by condos/town homes and there's one regular street right behind us, can see the houses. But that said, our particular property we are on almost 3 acres about half of which is woods and it connects to more woods/is a bigger patch cause the neighbors own woods too but yeah. And there are also cranberry bogs across a busy street (behind the other street), and a pond in the neighborhood and there's another one behind that. There's also a huge field down the street as well as a property with huge lawns. And about two miles down in the next town there's a river/marsh. Okay.. you know... now that I think about, we really DO live in a fairly rural part of town
1f602.png
but the funny thing is that's one way but on that main road by our house there's businesses, even a big doctor's office/physical therapy place (its an orthopedic dr), and this road is sandwiched between two highways, and 2 mins down this road there is tons of develoent, like 3 plazas, a grocery store in 2, etc., so like it's fairly developed but i guess theres land an in between. And now that i think more about it, even the houses with practically no land still have some and there's just lots of land all around even if it's in small patches and this particular area with the bog, ponds, the woods surrounding us, fields, marsh, woods along the roads, etc. I guess is one of the bigger open areas in town so it makes sense that they would be here. I just have never heard them or realized.

It's funny though because I'm sitting here going "our area/town isn't that rural" yet describing all these rural places and it made me realize it IS fairly rural, certainly enough for wild animals, even if all around is developed lol not rural like some towns around here or out in country where it's big huge farms and open areas everywhere but definitely enough patches for an animal i guess.

About a week ago we were driving to Boston and there was a dead fisher cat on the side of the road, first time I've ever seen one. Never thought they would live so close to such a big city :/

Wow that's crazy they'd be near the city!!!

Oh and i forgot to add that this area isnt even the rural part of town, that's the western side which is even more rural. But i guess its rural to animals lol

Last edited:
Although actually another group also just built more condos next to this development and there was a pretty decent size patch of woods there so maybe the animals moved from there here too?

Back
Top Bottom