Ended BYC's 15th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along—2024—Chilly Coop Contest!

IMG_3788.jpeg

Here is my coop/run and fenced yard area. Mother Nature is sure putting my hawk netting to the test. Here in Wisconsin it was a 7inch snow fall with 10 more inches forecasted for tomorrow!

Welcome to BYC's Chilly Coop Contest. Some coops are purchased kits, and some are custom-crafted. Some coops are made of recycled wood, and some are painted. One thing that all of our coops share in common is a place for our feathered friends to lay their eggs and to keep their fluffy butts safe and warm in the winter. We want to see those cozy cottages and fortified fortresses this winter.

Prizes
TBD

How to enter:

It's easy to enter, just reply to this thread with winter photos of your coop or run.

To increase your chances of winning, please read the rules before entering.
Rules:
  1. Four entries per member. One photo per post, please.
  2. An entry is one winter photo of your poultry's coop or run.
  3. Images that have been resized might be disqualified if they are too small to judge.
  4. No screenshots, watermarks, date stamps, text, etc., on the photo. No collages.
  5. The photo needs to have been taken by you.
  6. You cannot use a photo that won an award in another BYC-sponsored contest.
  7. High-quality images are recommended. Basic editing, such as cropping and other subtle changes, are allowed.
  8. ALL photos MUST be uploaded to BYC and not hosted on other image sites, personal websites, etc.
  9. Prizes are limited to one per person per contest.
  10. All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)
  11. Entries will be accepted through February 29th, 2024, at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
Photography tips from fellow BYC members:
2022 Winners
From left to right, photos by @TinyRaptorDodos, @Gwhite3678, @Isadora, & @K0k0shka

2021 Winners
From left to right, photos by @EmmaRainboe, @vantain, @Alaskan, @BY Bob, & @mbailey78

If you have not joined the NYD Hatch-a-long, please join us here!
Here is my coop/run and side yard after 7 inches of snow. Mother Nature is sure putting my hawk netting to the test. And here in WI forecast is for 10 more inches tonight!
IMG_2731.jpeg

Ive never been so pleased that I can’t participate in a contest my area of Minnesota has had barely any snow and unusually warm temps it’s finally getting cold but after the extremely snowy winter last year it is such a welcome break we are getting some snow tomorrow but it probably won’t be much in our area

Welcome to BYC's Chilly Coop Contest. Some coops are purchased kits, and some are custom-crafted. Some coops are made of recycled wood, and some are painted. One thing that all of our coops share in common is a place for our feathered friends to lay their eggs and to keep their fluffy butts safe and warm in the winter. We want to see those cozy cottages and fortified fortresses this winter.

Prizes
TBD

How to enter:

It's easy to enter, just reply to this thread with winter photos of your coop or run.

To increase your chances of winning, please read the rules before entering.
Rules:
  1. Four entries per member. One photo per post, please.
  2. An entry is one winter photo of your poultry's coop or run.
  3. Images that have been resized might be disqualified if they are too small to judge.
  4. No screenshots, watermarks, date stamps, text, etc., on the photo. No collages.
  5. The photo needs to have been taken by you.
  6. You cannot use a photo that won an award in another BYC-sponsored contest.
  7. High-quality images are recommended. Basic editing, such as cropping and other subtle changes, are allowed.
  8. ALL photos MUST be uploaded to BYC and not hosted on other image sites, personal websites, etc.
  9. Prizes are limited to one per person per contest.
  10. All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)
  11. Entries will be accepted through February 29th, 2024, at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
Photography tips from fellow BYC members:
2022 Winners
From left to right, photos by @TinyRaptorDodos, @Gwhite3678, @Isadora, & @K0k0shka

2021 Winners
From left to right, photos by @EmmaRainboe, @vantain, @Alaskan, @BY Bob, & @mbailey78

If you have not joined the NYD Hatch-a-long, please join us here!

Cooptagon
413386164_1102575344099750_2926066736446265893_n.jpg

@Jenbirdee, The front windows were plexiglassed on the wire part, but not completely over like the side windows (there are still some very small cracks). There are vents drilled in above the front windows.
View attachment 3721487
There are windows in the back of the coop, inside the run. These are not covered, they are left open at night. The chickens seem to like the fresh air, and stay by the windows (but not so much that they are cramming for air).
View attachment 3721559
Tonight was the first night we did not leave those windows open, it snowed for the first time (in the chicken’s lives) and it is extremely cold and windy. Do you think they should still be left open, or cracked slightly?
Personally, if those windows aren't on the windward side I'd leave them all the way open, but I'm a massive proponent of fresh air in coops and don't have more than three walls on any of mine.

Back
Top Bottom