California - Northern

Hi I don't have ducks but I have some chicks I need to find homes for. They are a mix but should be good layers. I live in stockton.

I'll keep my ears open in case someone is looking for chicks :). I'm lucky to be able to take in more ducks, we already have 14 birds (10 chickens and 4 ducks) and my family's a little overwhelmed xD But I don't want to rehome any of the ducks, so my solution is to get two more ^_^ Good luck on your quest to find homes!

good question. I am not sure what breeds for sure any of them are. I got them from TSC a week ago. according to the bins I have 2 Bantams, 2 Americians & 2 Black sex links

but who knows.

I had two bantam Silkie day-olds raised with 4 large fowl day-olds. The LFs grew larger and faster than the bantam Silkies and the larger chicks started to pick on the smaller bantams. The Silkies would have to hide behind feeders and waterers to keep from getting pecked. It makes for very shy thwarted bantam personalities to be harassed by LF chickmates. Watch your brooder dynamics and at the first sign of pecking on the bantams I would remove them to their own brooder. Growing up together doesn't mean LFs and bantams will be buddies. Red and Black sexlinks are assertive birds. Your Amer-I-canas are Easter Eggers if they are from TSC. Easter Eggers (EEs) are usually non-combative but can take advantage of smaller chicks just because they can - it's a chicken thing! FYI - True Amer-AU-cana breeders get miffed at newbies calling Easter Eggers as Amer-I-canas because that is the way hatcheries/feed stores sell them and it is incorrect - not to mention the bad spelling. Feed store "Amer-I-canas" are truly called Easter Eggers. They will give blue, green-blue, green, sage, mint, stone, pink, even white eggs. Fun to see what color a pullet will finally lay. GL w/your new babies!

Well a friends buff orp went broody (got the bird from me over a year ago) so I gave it some Pita and PitaxEE eggs and it looks like the hybrids hatched which was part of the plan but in the last 2 days I have 2 birds go broody taking up the space I intended to put my near 6 week old chicks in so I would have brooder space. I donated some eggs to the Eureka School district and was told I could get the chicks back. Ron is hatching UofA blues and @PetRock got me Langshan eggs to put under my broodies on the week of the 18th of May the feed store is going to have Delaware's and Wellie's so I planned to pick some up. So it looks like Ill be overrun with chicks soon. I have to finish building my coops and get my big brooder cleaned out.

Ill pick the Pita x EE chicks up today they are going to be very interesting I just hope they are girls.

I had two bantam Silkie day-olds raised with 4 large fowl day-olds. The LFs grew larger and faster than the bantam Silkies and the larger chicks started to pick on the smaller bantams. The Silkies would have to hide behind feeders and waterers to keep from getting pecked. It makes for very shy thwarted bantam personalities to be harassed by LF chickmates. Watch your brooder dynamics and at the first sign of pecking on the bantams I would remove them to their own brooder. Growing up together doesn't mean LFs and bantams will be buddies. Red and Black sexlinks are assertive birds. Your Amer-I-canas are Easter Eggers if they are from TSC. Easter Eggers (EEs) are usually non-combative but can take advantage of smaller chicks just because they can - it's a chicken thing! FYI - True Amer-AU-cana breeders get miffed at newbies calling Easter Eggers as Amer-I-canas because that is the way hatcheries/feed stores sell them and it is incorrect - not to mention the bad spelling. Feed store "Amer-I-canas" are truly called Easter Eggers. They will give blue, green-blue, green, sage, mint, stone, pink, even white eggs. Fun to see what color a pullet will finally lay. GL w/your new babies!

My apologies, I was told they were americans and that is how it was spelled. I didn't realize I was incorrect on the spelling. I will be sure to call it by the correct name from now on. Rookie mistake.

Thank you for your advice with my bantams. I haven't noticed any bullying but if and when I do I will make sure to not allow it and take the right measures. :)

My apologies, I was told they were americans and that is how it was spelled. I didn't realize I was incorrect on the spelling. I will be sure to call it by the correct name from now on. Rookie mistake.

Thank you for your advice with my bantams. I haven't noticed any bullying but if and when I do I will make sure to not allow it and take the right measures. :)
Here is the blurb from my pet chicken which explains the difference a bit more clearly.

Ameraucana

The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Less rare than Araucanas, they are still quite rare and only available through breeders at this time. They should not be confused with Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs, and do not conform to any breed standard. However, many hatcheries continue to call their Easter Eggers "Americanas" (and other various misspellings). If you are interested in showing your birds, make sure that you have true Ameraucana or Araucana.

Here is the blurb from my pet chicken which explains the difference a bit more clearly.
Ameraucana

The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Less rare than Araucanas, they are still quite rare and only available through breeders at this time. They should not be confused with Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs, and do not conform to any breed standard. However, many hatcheries continue to call their Easter Eggers "Americanas" (and other various misspellings). If you are interested in showing your birds, make sure that you have true Ameraucana or Araucana.
Thank you, makes more sense. I will research the bird more when it gets a little older.

Last edited:
Ameraucana

That's good info, not something I'd have expected to see on MPC's website.

Anyone here know where you could sell dressed capons? I hear there's a market for them down in Sacto, they say the Asian markets and shops will buy them for a pretty penny. But I haven't got a clue where any of these actual places are. Anyone seen any for sale or know what places would buy them?

My boss recently got sent 50 Salmon Faverolles cockerels instead of pullets. Trying to convince him to let me caponize them to sell, but I think I'd need a solid lead on a place that would buy them first.

Well the broody buff of my friend hatched out 2 hybrid Pita Roo over Easter Egger chicks and I have to say I was really surprised by the down pattern here

Easter Eggers are wild type down (at least the ones I got were) and this is a typical pita chick

Here are the parents of the hybrids
The father

The two mothers

Now for the cuteness

Chick number 1 most likely from the top mother who has a bit of beard by comparison

And number 2

These 2 chicks are so calm and only just hatched yesterday. Had to take from the mama because the friends coop is not chick friendly felt sad taking her little ones but id rather they be able to grow up. Im hoping they are pullets but have no idea how or when I could tell. Not sure the comb they will have either. They are stinking cute and calm and friendly too.

Back
Top Bottom