Calling all BUNNY keepers! Treat question?!

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
25976_frontyard_bunnychickens.jpg

Mr Bunny is delighted to freerange our entire universe at all times. He is funny, and fun. Yesterday he pulled an ornament made by a gradeschooler off the tree and asked if he could eat it, he liked it a lot, but our kid said "its made of glue and cinnamon and sawdust" (made last year). So we said NO. Bunny was very sad he couldn't keep the fake cookie.

Is there a "bribe" type treat that bunnies LOVE? He wanted this fake cookie ornament so much, he'd probably do tricks for it, but we didn't let him eat it. He gets anything he wants, all day and night,

25976_bunny_eats_chicken_fud.jpg

even a whole carrot bribe to come back in the house at night. Until now, he hasn't really wanted anything as much as he wants this fake cookie ornament, which we won't let him have.

I remember our parakeets would do anything for LeFebure bird treats. Is there a similar bunny treat ya'll have used? Would love to put something under the tree for him for christmas!
tongue.png

Yep, he gets part of Daddy's apple every day. He sits with Dad during midmorning emailing and computer work, then eventually they wander outside to check on the chickens.

Sometimes, I worry for Bunny's teeth, he gets corn scratch, chickenfeed and fruits and carrots every day. He also eats a good diet of Purina ShowRabbit pellets and grazes outside all day, so maybe his teeth will be alright.

"Yogies" yogurt treats. He'll go gaga over them. Get them at the pet supply store. PS...it's not good for him to be eating chicken food if that's what he's doing in that second pic. He needs to be kept out of that.

Can rabbits have cinnamon? I don't have rabbits, so I'm not sure.

If rabbits can safely have cinnamon, why not make him some safe cinnamon treats? Not sure how this would work, maybe some flour and cinnamon with apple chunks stirred with water to make a dough and baked in the oven?

http://www.vrra.org/res-food.htm has a good list of food and treats. The yogurt is ok, not the best. Rabbits, like all mammals, are lactose intolerant once they are weaned. In tiny doses, it probably won't hurt 99% of rabbits, but it might give him a bit of gas or an upset tummy.
carrots aren't the best either, since they are high in again - again, fine in small pieces as a treat, but not every day.
fruit is a no-no, again except in small pieces for a treat.

does he get hay? rabbits need unlimited access to timothy or grass hay. No alfalfa since it is high in calcium and can cause urinary problems and sludge in rabbits that are prone to the problem. Apple wood sticks are good for keeping bunnies teeth in shape.

NO CHICKENFEED!!! though. it is much too high in protein for bunnies, but they will fill up on that over their regular food. The same goes for corn, it's like chocolate cake vs eating your veggies for dinner!
smile.png

My last rabbit's most favorite food was a slice of banana. He also loved to stuff an entire dandelion blossom in his mouth at one time. I think he would have traded anything for a slice of banana.

He liked a lot of fresh greens, herbs, vegetables and fruits, though. I didn't usually give him grain as a treat. I focused on mostly greens, with non-starchy vegetables and only a bite of fruit for a serving size.

His base diet was hay and a good quality pellet. I never had to restrict his pellets, because he got a lot of exercise. He also ate a lot of hay by choice.

Maybe try a few different treats, to see which one would work in an emergency. Maybe a Cheerio would work, since he has such a taste for grain. I wouldn't feed them to a rabbit normally, since they're so starchy, but they might work as a high quality bribe, to get him to release something. Otherwise, I'd just try different greens, vegetables or a small bite of fruit.

If you have snow cover in the winter, you could try offering some timothy hay to your rabbit. Is he eating much layer feed? I'd be worried about the amount of calcium in it.

mine was born feral so at first he didn't eat anything but dandelions! now he get's a big stack of fresh veggies like kale, herbs, and carrot greens twice a day. in the morning he has only a small handful of pellet feed and in the evening he gets a handful of organic rolled oats. the oats are his favorite, he get's so excited about them! maybe your bunny would like them too? mine also has access to timothy hay all day and gets a piece of fruit every once in a while. he actually doesn't like carrots or lettuce of whatever it is bunnies are "supposed" to eat!

bear in mind my bunny's spoiled beyond belief because my mom loves him so much. ironically enough she never wanted a rabbit in the first place!
smile.png

Quote:
Oh yeah ours is spoiled too. Maybe they should be penpals. They could write each other comics about how much they are loved, and how!

I always wonder if the petstore hay is too old to be of use, nutritionally? He has it, but he also eats TONS of yard growth. Indoors he has a stash of hay in his "room"., where his regular Purina Rabbit pellets and water are.

Back
Top Bottom