Can rabbits live outdoors, even in winter?

I have four mini lops that stay outside in a hutch, and are let out in an outdoor pen during the day and are very happy. My rabbits are fine during the winter, though I will provide a heat lamp if they start acting cold. I also provide some rolled oats and sunflower seeds to in the colder weather as chewing helps keep them warm.

They can do it without a heater! Rabbits actually do better in very cold weather than very hot. Just make sure the hutch has a dry, draft free area the bun can hang out in. Some kind of hidey hole. If it is extra cold give her some nice hay in the hidey hole so she can make a nice warm burrow. I have had buns outside through the Massachusetts winter, never adding supplemental heat

I personally do not recommend keeping rabbits outside.
They are very very fragile animals, and while it can be done, you should really look at why you are keeping rabbits, and wether or not the risks are worth it.
If someone is keeping rabbits for meat, obviously they will not be living inside. If your a breeder you likely wont be keeping your rabbits indoors either. But, if you want one as a pet, I highly recommend you research the risks of keeping rabbits outdoors.

Rabbits are very very fragile. Temperature swings are a huge concern as they can go into heat stroke, or hypothermia very quickly. They become stressed out quite easily as well, and temperature is not good for that.
Not only are temperature swings a problem, but everything about a bunny is fragile. They can break their backs, and other bones in their body. This can be a death sentence for your rabbit. My bun Aspen suffered from spinal issues after I got her. I rescued her after she had been dumped, and her hips were the first indicator of an issue. After 6 months of owning her, she was euthanized because her back had gotten so bad.
Rabbits can also go into shock of a predator is near. They are prey animals, and there for predators are terrifying. Rabbits are not easy to recover from shock, and it can be a killer. If shock doesn't kill them, the fear from a predator trying to rip through a hutch could kill them before the predator. Heart attacks from fear are not uncommon in rabbits, @EverythingDucks actually has a friend who this has happened too.

There are also lots of diseases rabbits can get, a big one being E.cuniculi. Its an infectious organism that gets to rabbits from infected grass. It causes neurological issues ranging from a mild head tilt, to seizures. It also can cause paralysis, hind leg weakness, cataracts, incontinence, and in very sever cases, rolling uncontrollably/seizures, and cataracts that mature so badly they rupture the eye lenses. Its a very extreme and illusive disease, not something you want to deal with.

Lastly, rabbits are also very social animals. They need attention if you are only getting one, and that attention must come from their people. Being outdoors is not going to give the rabbits the connection with their owners they need, and you may only be viewed as the food person. Rabbits can become very attached to their owners, when they do, they can be as friendly and social as a dog, maybe even more. If you want a connection like that with your bun, you will need to share a space. I saw above that you have allergies, so that probably isn't possible. With that in mind, consider again why you want a rabbit.
If its a pet, then if you want that special bond, it will need to live indoors, or you will need to live outdoors with it almost all the time. If that isn't possible, than your rabbit is not going to be the social pet your hoping for, rather a flighty yard ornament that might not be all the things you wished it would be before getting it.
Just something to think about.

With all the above in mind, people do keep rabbits outdoors without issues. Of course, these rabbits may not always be pets, and are likely being used for entirely different purposes, so keep that in mind.
To answer your question, yes, it is possible, but is it good for the rabbit? No. Is it good for the relationship I'm assuming you wish to have with your rabbit? No. Is it necessary? No. There are no pro's for the rabbit to keep it outdoors, maybe pros for your. Less mess, no cleaning, no potty issues, no destruction issues, etc, etc. But there are no pro's for the rabbit, and that is who we should be thinking about in this situation. With that said, I will always suggest you don't do it.

Last edited:
I do not recommend keeping a rabbit outdoors. While wild rabbits can deal with any kind of weather just fine, domestic rabbits can't. They are not built to handle hot, humid summers or freezing cold winters. I've been in Maine in the winter, and I know how cold it gets. A rabbit would freeze to death in that weather.
Another issue is that rabbits are very easily scared. If a predator even just walks by the hutch, the rabbit can die from fright.

One member of my family also has allergies. We have had a pet rabbit (English lop/Angora mix) in an outside hutch since we got her as a two month old rabbit back in 2016. She lives in a two story hutch I built made of hardware cloth and wood. The top part is divided into a bedroom area (lots of hay and a small entrance) and an eating area. I keep two waters up top and two on the lower level. Two waterers are heated (only plugged in during the winter). Our winters get into the negative digits for a week or so. She has a ramp connecting the levels. We open her door(s) when we are at home and in the backyard and she gets to hop around her fenced in area and enjoy fresh grass. She loves it. We also have a cat harness and leash and walk her around even further into the yard occasionally. She is housed next door to our catio when our three outside cats spend their nights (I lock everyone up at night due to living in the country and having lots of predators.) Perhaps being next to the house and beside the catio help keep all predators away. This set up works very well for us and Rosie Bunny. I'll attach a older photo showing the no dig apron. Now the metal fencing has settled into the ground and grass grows up through it.
Good luck deciding what is best for your family and any future pets!
1655741849243.png

We have a rabbit. 🐇 His name is BunBun and he is an adorable lop mix. We adopted him at our local animal shelter 2 years ago and they told us he was picked up as a stray in a nearby town. So he was already used to living outside and definitely enjoyed it. We kept him indoors for the first week (while his setup was being built outside) and I could tell he wasn't very happy with the amount of noise and activity in our household.

He has a large pen, the garden (when we're not using it), a hutch, AND a playhouse!!!
Like, seriously. He's SPOILED and he couldn't be happier. :)
Note: He lives in the playhouse full time in winter so he is absolutely fine and very happy :)
DSCN9014.jpg

I agree that rabbits can live (and enjoy!) outdoors. I've had pet rabbits since I was a kid up now through college (and I still have my one ancient bun, Lion, who was my first pet! He's about 11-12yo now) and we used to keep them inside for the first year or two. Then we moved them outside and I think everyone (human and rabbit) was happier with that decision.

I have always said it largely depends on the level of commitment and care you give your rabbit. If you give them the proper housing and care for the different kinds of weather, your rabbit can live a happy healthy life with very little issues. If you don't really set up, read and research, and commit to giving the proper care and attention, then of course your rabbit will run into the many issues people use to say rabbits can't live outdoors.

As I said, my Lion is very old now (beyond 10 years!) and he's lived outside nearly his whole life. We found him dumped outside and as I said moved him outdoors and in my opinion he has always preferred it. He'll sit out in the uncovered portion of his hutch during even the worst of rainstorms even! And never once has been bothered by the various critters like raccoons, possums, and cats that I know have wandered near his hutch. He also got very used to power tools and loud noises like that. Heck, one time we were getting trees trimmed right near their hutch and he sat outside without a care in the world lol!

I have had two other rabbits as well over the years, but both died of illness rather than any issues the outdoors might pose. (one got GI stasis, the other a dental abscess)

As for cold weather (I live in FL so I have the opposite problem lol) I sometimes give mine rags to lay on, or will give lots of hay for them to burrow in when it gets cold, or put a heat lamp on them if we get a couple of really cold nights. That, and as others said, a covered portion that doesn't have drafts. That part I personally have never really worried about because it rarely gets below the 40s here, but you'll want to plan on that since you get far colder temps. Mine have a wooden, covered part of the hutch for a hidey place.

So, in conclusion, if you give normal, proper care to a rabbit, I feel like they can be very hardy and have great success and life outdoors. I hope you'll be able to get one!

Have you looked into Rex rabbits? Many people who have allergies do better with Rex, due to their low shedding. Regular cleaning and an air purifier may also help. I'm allergic to both rabbits and hay, but I've noticed the simple difference of hay type helps a lot. Timothy hay what most are allergic to. However, not only is orchard grass less dusty, but an allergy safe alternative.

Rabbits can tolerate cold, but as @Weeg and @HappyClucker7 have said, rabbits do not do well with heat and can suffer from heatstroke. For this reason, if outdoor housing is the only option, an AC unit or other cooling methods may be needed for those warmer months of the year.
Though that still leaves the issue of predators. Rabbits can die of shock, so even an animal trying to get into the hutch could kill your bunny. Hawks, coyotes, raccoons, weasels, stray cats, and dogs could potentially become a threat to your bunny. Any hutch you can buy from the pet shop, farm supply store, or online is going to be much too small and will not protect your bunny from these predators. They're like prefab chicken coops, they simply are not suitable.

The space is really the biggest issue. Rabbits are a lot like cats and dogs when it comes to care and space requirements. A large indoor play pen and space to free roam is the ideal setup. It's much safer, cheaper, easier, and of course closer to you.
A premade hutch is often not going to have the room for a large enough litter box, hay, toys, hidey houses, food and water, while still leaving play space and room for the rabbit on top of that. It would quickly become crowded and the rabbit won't have space to exercise.
These are the hutches I'm talking about
1655758809998.png

Rabbits can also become lonely out in a hutch. You could adopt a bonded pair, but in a small hutch they certainly would not have enough space. And you likely will not have the relationship you want with a pet rabbit. Rabbits are full of personality and some can be very affectionate. But when kept in a hutch, away from you and your family, you probably will not get to see that. Rabbits that are not socialized with people can become fearful, and a fearful rabbit can become aggressive. Not all rabbits are like this of course, and a fixed rabbit is more likely to be friendly. But in my opinion, keeping them outside and away from you somewhat defeats the purpose of having a pet.

All that being said, there are some outdoor enclosures that can be safe and provide everything needed for a healthy and happy bun. Like with chicken coops, they need plenty of space and predator proofing, which you can't get with prefabs.
Shed conversions are perfect for rabbit houses though. These ones in particular have a run attached where the rabbit can get some fresh air.
1655758708405.png
1655758766784.png

Being able to walk into it going to make it much easier to clean up after and bond with your rabbit.
1655758888977.png
1655758909376.png

There are lots of ideas on Pinterest, and if you'd like I can share my board with you where I have lots saved.

But of course, something like this is more expensive than the other options. Which is why the easiest and most affordable option is to house your rabbit indoors. Playpens can be purchased on Amazon for around $40, whereas a prefab hutch or cage is going to be much more. Rabbits can be easily litter trained, and with a bit of bunny proofing, they can free roam the house just like a dog or cat.

Honestly, I would look into fostering first. There are lots of rescues with rabbits in need of homes, and fostering is a great way to help and find out if a rabbit is right for you.
If you have any questions about supplies or care, feel free to ask or PM me. I hope this helped give you a bit of insight on indoor vs outdoor enclosures 😊

Rabbits are rabbits. They can live outside just fine. They are probably healthier outside than they are inside anyway. Keep in mind rabbits can tolerate cold a whole lot better than they can heat. They also cannot tolerate drafty or wet conditions.

Back
Top Bottom