Canning and Home preserving

My Dill pickles definitely don't taste store bought but I like them much better. Each pint gets 1tsp salt, 1tsp mustard seed, 1tsp Dill seed, 1/2tsp peppercorns, 1/2tsp Dill weed, 1/2tsp hot pepper flakes and a couple cloves of garlic. I'll add 1 bay leaf or some pickle crisp to each jar if I have it. 1/2 and 1/2 solution of white vinegar and distilled water. I will also add fresh dill flowers if I have them growing. Use the same recipe for my Dilly beans. Bread and Butter pickles I am still working on. Many recipes I have found I just don't care for.
I like bread and butter pickles with onions in the jar too.

I was late to the show and hardly found any pawpaws. Last year we got two 5 gallon buckets in one day. Made just over a pint with 1.8 pounds. I had to 1/3 the ingredients. Its like sweet and tangy from the lemon juice. For you all that has never eaten them they are like banana mango flavor and hard to eat with in-edible skins and seeds like over grown kidney beans.
  • 6# of raw pawpaws
  • cut around like a avacado, twist open and scoop pulp and seens out of skin with a spoon
  • 2 cups water and bring to a boil and cover an simmer for an hour. Then let cool.
  • Remove all the seeds by hand.
  • Grind pulp in a blender. Seemed easier than mashing to me.
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice for canning
  • 2 Tbsp vanilla
  • Bring to a boil and thicken a bit
  • Jar and water bath for ten minutes or more.
120844623_10214189629454080_3198542801844588543_n.jpg

120844045_10214189629534082_7820004812102021344_n.jpg

120807358_10214189630094096_1690630384505909858_n.jpg

Can you share your tomato jam recipe? I made 2 different recipes this year and they were...meh, at best.
I used the NY Times recipe (attached as PDF). It's been a few years since I made it (made a lot). This year I used all my tomatoes for roasted tomato and basil soup and froze the puree. To make the soup, I thaw the puree and add carmalized onions and vegetable stock.

Attachments

• Tomato Jam Recipe - NYT Cooking.PDF
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
Thank you! I cannot seem to open it
Here it is. Pretty simple. At the "refrigerate when done" part, I canned it and then did a hot water bath.

TOMATO JAM

1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger

1 teaspoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeno or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste

STEP 1

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often.

STEP 2

Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

i made some jars with green beans and some with beets. The recipe said to put some sugar and salt into the water. Both got pasteurized but it tastes sour. It doesn't look spoiled but tastes like it has fermented (a bit different than sauerkraut and pickled cucumber). But as i said they've been pasteurized. Any clue? Is it because of sugar? Or the brine? Now i think it may be because it's like brine for fermenting things like cucumber but with salt. The brine i used previous time had some vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom