Cat With Sores On His Chin...(pics)

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
About a week ago i noticed Rosco had like a red swollen chin...
The a few days ago i noticed some " greasy" brown stuff on his chin...
And it seemed that he was missing some fur on his chin..
So i washed his chin with warm water and tea tree anti-bacterial soap for a couple days.. and i though it looked better.....
But today i noticed there are now scabs on his chin...
*sigh*
So..is this healing?? (i.e scabs)... or what?
What else can i use to try to treat this at home? I have no problem with a vet call... but if i can treat it here first, i'd rather do that. He is eating/drinking and acting fine..
I checked his teeth, and hes not drooling. So i dont think its dental related...
What about Witch Hazel?? Or just pure tea tree oil...not the soap??
Wonder what it could be??
He's my mouser kitty, so i wonder if he got bit by a mouse or something??
hu.gif

030.jpg

034.jpg

032.jpg

Last edited:
Mine get that frmo time to time, nothing as bad as your cats - I thought it was like dry skin - only happens in the winter. Usually if they get bit by something, it's on the side of his mouth

Cats are prone to folliculitis -- inflamation of their hair follicles on their chin and face. Its often a staph bacterial causing the issue. Sometimes it is called kitty acne. I don't know if that is what he has, but it does look similar to the case I have seen.

I'm wondering ...dont they have a gland on their chin??
Wonder if got infected somehow??

The thing is.. its scabbing up.... so i dont know if its healing or what...
If i was certain it wasnt getting any better, i would bring him in asap... but i cant tell yet..
roll.png

My boxer tends to get something on his chin that looks similar to this. My vet recommended using Stridex pads and it worked. Worth a shot if it saves you a vet bill. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom