Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Thank you everyone for posting so far! I've been enjoying reading all of your posts and have loved seeing your pictures. It's been great seeing all of you being willing to update us and I hope to see all of you around the site more. :jumpy

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
HI Thanks for reaching out! Life has been crazy! I am raising Spring Chicks as well as a new puppy here on the farm got my garden in and am hosting a craft market this weekend, needless to say Things have been busy! It is nice to know that I have all of you for a resource or just to talk about Chickens! Something fun is I finally got Naked Neck (Turken) chicks this spring I have wanted them for so long!! They are so cute! I will post photos later Thanks again I appreciate the check in!

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it's been so long! I've been diagnosed with many things while gone including autism, DID, tourette's... it's been a lot to process, I'm looking to come back soon! Also I've gotten a baby sister and she's turned one sinve Ive been here!View attachment 3812388Currently we have 18 chickens!! 10 full grown and 8 babies! Getting ready for the fair!
Hello from a fellow Autistic! Autism rocks! :highfive: Your birds are so lovely! Thanks for posting a picture of them. :love (I have 18 chickens too!)

We are doing good! Yes, been very busy! I’ve got several broody hens setting. Had a Guinea missing, she finally came home with 24 keets (first time Mom) I wasn’t able to confine and separate her from everybody else. We had storms come thru and within 72 hours they were all dead 🥺 except 2 that I was able to find and put in the brooder. Two of my hens have nests, and I’ve got a hen raising a brood. BABIES, BABIES, BABIES!!!! 🐣😊🥰

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
i am learning about chickens in advance of getting a few, and really appreciate all the great members and experience!

Hey everyone! Sorry to be a downer but I haven’t been on here much since my two girls passed away. One died peacefully in her sleep, and the other was taken by a fox recently. Missing them lots now… Just wanted to say thank you to those who have helped me out as a new duck owner on this platform, as I will likely not be coming back here any time soon <3
@Lemonade I am so sorry, :hugs I just know they both had a wonderful life with you. ❤

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it's been so long! I've been diagnosed with many things while gone including autism, DID, tourette's... it's been a lot to process, I'm looking to come back soon! Also I've gotten a baby sister and she's turned one sinve Ive been here!View attachment 3812388Currently we have 18 chickens!! 10 full grown and 8 babies! Getting ready for the fair!
This is a beautiful photo @Embroom!

What began 3 years ago as a small backyard flock of chickens has laughingly grown into what I call my chicken operation. It began with somewhere around 11-13 girls and one rooster, Carson, (more on him later), and I currently have 27 laying hens. Then there are the 3 roosters, Carson (be patient, it's coming) Willie Nelson, my prize Ameraucana and Wayland Jennings, my accidental buff brahma, who started out as Wynonna Judd, lol.

I have one reliable broody, a black laced red Wyandotte named Baxter, who is fretting in her broody pen with one 4 day old chick. Her habit is to abandon the nest when her first chick hatches out, and if the weather is chilly, and she does it after afternoon chicken chores, the eggs sometimes don't make it. I still place them back under her, and we play a game to see who wins the "not interested in those eggs any more" struggle. I usually admit defeat after around 3 days.

Then there's my lavender orpington, my overachiever as a broody/mama. She is currently on 3 eggs, and they should bust out later next week. Once she gets them to around the 8 week mark, she will find another clutch and settle in once more.

I also have 7- 6 week olds in the garage brooder. One of them is a cuckoo marans rooster, but one of the black copper marans also looks suspiciously male, so choices may need to be made. They are moving to another brooder pen in the coop for a get acquainted week on Saturday.

My old boy Carson has rather consistently tried to kill me since he first came of age. My husband was a big fan of him, but then again, until last fall, he was not out in the coop with me doing chicken chores, and so, he only had the blood and bruises to go by. Now that we have roosters to compare Carsons behavior to, who love me, even to protecting me from Carson, my spouse finally sees that Carson is not what a owner should expect. I must note that it has not been lost on him that Carson has never attempted to fight my husband to the death.

And so this fall, Carson will be headed to the bone broth kingdom of our pantry, along with most of our 3 going on 4 year old hens. I'll keep my broody mama's, even without eggs, they serve a valued need, and there are probably 3 more that are either still cranking out the daily bounty, or have such sweet personalities that we want to keep that in our barnyard gene lines.

We get around 18-26 eggs per day right now during peak laying season, most all are given away. We supply some to friends and family, and around 6 dozen per week go to the Rangers at our local State Park.

Back
Top Bottom