Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi all, been so busy lately I haven't had much time to sit down!
We have ten chickens now in two different enclosures.
A pair of Ayan Cerami, a Lavender Arucana, a Silkie mix, three blue eggers, a light Sussex, a Laced Wyandotte x Silver Spangled Hamburgh, and a Silver Spangled Hamburgh!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Good morning from Germany, I hope all is well 🙂
It has indeed been a while.
I just hatched 2 bantam Amrocks, four speckled Sussex, three bantam Orpingtons and three bantam Sulmtaler last week.

Warm greetings and a happy weekend!

IMG_3485.jpeg

Miss Ethel and our blind Schipperke, Bella. Don't let this pic fool you, they actually hate each other, LOL. However, now that Bella is blind, she sometimes doesn't realize Ethel is there, hahaha!

IMG_6470.jpeg

Attempted my first hatching a couple months ago from purchased fertilized eggs. Unfortunately it seems like the post office made sure they were shaken not stirred because not a single successful hatch & the 4-6 I cracked to see where it went wrong all looked like this. Meat birds are growing at a great pace & other life goals of both mine & my kids have eaten up a lot of my spare time so I have been more MIA on social media

Hello everyone! It was a pleasant surprise to be included in this thread. Life has been busy with young kids and animals and a new job (I ended up quitting and returning to the old job).

We lost one of our German Shepherds to cancer in the fall…so I guess my username should be OneShepherd now. 😭

I still check in on the forum. In fact, I was looking the other day to see if there were any new reviews on the incubator I bought last spring.

I have 9 six week old (hopefully) pullets in the brooder right now (welsummer, barnvelder, white leghorn, and barred rock). What were the odds that Tractor Supply would have ALL of the breeds that I had pre-ordered at the online hatchery? How could I not get them?

Oh, and I have some eggs in the incubator. Yesterday I put 19 eggs in lockdown….so hopefully I will have some blue or splash Ameraucanas, black copper marans, and olive Egger chicks in the next couple days.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 2
We moved house!
Built my girls (now just 4 of them) a smaller run in my much smaller garden. I thought they would not be happy but now the spring has arrived they're laying more than ever so I guess they like the New house as much as we do!

Hi all, Thanks for the poke, i've been super busy, well keeping myself busy to stop me thinking about them, cause i dont have any chooks, and has taken a while to think about doing it again.

Something broke into our coupe and killed all my feathered friends, was very weird though and im thinking we have a human going around killing chooks cause im not the only one, so husband is building a new coupe and the door is going to be our old security door off the house, its sad when you actually have to "lock up your chooks" but im not going to let them stop me. So will probably be about 1 year before i have anything going again.

Im very sad about it cause i shipped in the eggs and incubated them all successfully and had a system going every year i had little fluffy bums, then to go out one morning and see what i saw was heart breaking. All chooks and chicks killed, was way to neat and organised, it was like they where layed out for me with no mess of a fight, put the picture together with things that had happened over the last 2 months and it had to have been a person.

We have so many less birds at the minute, a combination of feed prices, and job changes as well as issues with land we rent has ment that we're down to only 7 chickens and no ducks or geese. We however set up a are first pig pen which will hopefully double as space for winter geese
IMG20240418150901.jpg
IMG20230504104621.jpg

Our initial flock (2020 - started during COVID) has blossomed. We went from 15 to 6 chickens (after rehoming roos and a couple of unfortunate wildlife encounters).

We started with a Rugged Ranch coop and matching expanded fenced run, but then evolved to allowing the girls to free-range throughout our 1/2 acre suburban property. Our neighbors got a kick out of it, some finding a clutch or two around Easter.

In 2023, for my birthday, my husband officially fenced in a huge portion of our side yard with 8’ tall deer fencing (burying the lower 2’ to prevent predators). We assembled a large American coop from Carolina Coops and then rented a rooster to mate with the ladies…. After incubation and a few visits (donations) to the Reef & Reptile company nearby, and the very fortunate rehoming of three remaining roosters, we have a nice flock of 17 wonderful hens. Moms & daughters. Although the second batch thinks I’m the mom.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    887 KB · Views: 2
Wow - it's been a while! There are only 3 of my original 10 B.O.hens left. Predator pressure here was wicked, for a while. But, we've since brought in more - Black Austrolorps, Barred Rock, and a few Golden Comets. We are currently at 15, including the only rooster that didn't go to freezer camp.
We've also tried our hand with quail (not our cup of tea) and turkeys (we loved and may do again, in a couple years). In addition to the 15 chickens, we now have 11 cross-bred ducks & drakes (buff orpingtons, duclair, and black Swedish), that are laying quite nicely and seem to love our pond, 3 adult Muskovy ducks, and a little brood of 11 Muskovy ducklings.
I'm not sure if I've posted about the goats, but we started with 3 Nigora goats, the November following getting that first batch of hens, we've had some losses, but that tiny herd has now grown to 9, including the 2 that are only a week old, born on consecutive days. There will also be another joining our little farm, at the end of summer. We've also expanded to sheep. In December, a friend discovered she and her dad had alpha gal, and gave us a pair of babydoll/ Southdown sheep, which have now produced their first lamb, about a month ago.

We're having trouble with ticks & copperhead snakes, so we're planning to bring in some guineas, to help combat those. And, we're on the fence about LGDs, because neither of us has any experience with them - but it feels like we need to learn. Our farm is most DEFINITELY keeping hubby and me busy.

I hope everyone is doing great!! (I'll try to read through the rest of the replies, tomorrow) Here are pictures of some of our critters - weirdly, not the bucks, ram, chickens, or adult Muskovys). Apparently, I need to get more current photos!

Attachments

• 20240207_222618.jpg
    20240207_222618.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240313_143620.jpg
    20240313_143620.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240405_124127.jpg
    20240405_124127.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240419_122804.jpg
    20240419_122804.jpg