Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Unfortunately my tatertot passed away a few years ago. It was due to toxic family environment taking it out on a poor defenseless animal vs taking anything up with me. I still love chickens and if I'm ever in a situation where I can have them again will. I'm doing okay, though my family is still keeping her ashes from me.

Hello,
Very thoughtful of you to message and find out what we've been up to! We no longer own our own hens. My hubby and I found the perfect home for them - hey went to a loving new family.. it was just the best, because we were able to go see them in their new home and have received updates from time to time! We cared for 7 hens (as part of a house sit) for 6 months. It was wonderful to have hens in our life again.. our girls were like children to us, so we named all these girls.. although, we weren't able to spend much time with them (as we were minding a gorgeous dog who needed our attention all the time!).. we're still enjoying the eggs from our house sit (haha I was stock-piling). The family were so happy with a few changes upon our return! Introducing a much needed feeder (opens when the chickens stand on it).. plus I was also adding crushed up (cooked/baked) egg shells to the girls diet! Hope you're all well xx

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi Everyone!

I haven’t posted in quite some time but I still enjoy reading posts. I have a flock of 8 right now with a brand new Mama. She has one adopted chick and one of her own. Unfortunately, we think she may have killed two of her chicks when they hatched. I don’t know why?? But she’s taking good care of the two she has.

Just got home from Cancun about an hour and a half ago.

I'm on the right with my gorgeous cousins on the left. Was a week-long blast! I missed my hubby and chickens though!!

So many beautiful creatures there!

440807705_10228443852375876_6244637988235922205_n.jpg 438097731_26070532445878928_7355181563728185944_n.jpg IMG_0879.JPEG

Last edited:
Down to 9 very assorted hens this year (6 yr old faverolles and pekin; 4 yr fav; 2x3 yr old Campines; 3x3yr old cream leg bars) kept in large 36'x9'x6' cage. 3-6 eggs a day which is enough for us to share with family. 2 unexpected sudden deaths early this year - could be related to coming into lay, or (much less likely) rat poison or yew hedge cuttings. I used to let them free range in back garden but stopped this year because of yew hedge and regular visits from fox, so have increased green food (spinach, chard, sorrel) and move around the 'hen furniture' in the cage. Jack Russell puppy also keeps them amused (from outside cage, although he keeps his distance). Hoping to restock next year - with faverolles my second favourite breed and/or Ancona if I can find some. Last Ancona bantam Popsy died age 10 last year.

Hi, not been on much. All good, just converted a shed into a new hen Palace... was down to one hen for various reasons but more ladies arriving tm yay :celebrate

Hi, thanks for reaching out. Sadly, I no longer have chickens since last June. It was sad parting with them, but had to sell them when told that my parents' house I've lived in for past 17+ years is being sold by my mother's guardian to help pay Medicaid back. My mom has been living in a nursing home since March 2020, and is in late stage of Alzheimer's. I don't know where I'm going to live, so don't know if I can ever have chickens again, though I hope someday in the future I can have some. For now I need to worry about finding a place to live and improving my physical and mental health.

Best wishes to all,
Sonia

Just saw the email. Grew up on this website and still hold it dear to me. I've met lifelong friends here who i still talk to, although on a different platform. I still keep chickens and love my flock more than ever. Haven't had the time to be on here anymore, wish i did. :)

Back
Top Bottom