Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Yes it has been a while. Yes we still have some chickens here as well. About the only problem we have had with the chickens is our dogs. For the longest time they did not bother them, and now we have to pen them up because they will kill our hens and roosters, which they have done on several occasion. They don't eat them, they just kill them. The last one that was killed actually flew into their pen, so not much I could do about that. So slowly getting back a group of chickens again. Right now we have 8 adults, 7 hens and a rooster. And 15 younger chicks all about mid age now. Still have 7 inside a coop till they get a little bigger. Have only one native chicken left, am not sure of the other breed that we have here. So kind of have a mix with the new ones coming along. Thanks for checking.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi, just checking in! I've been trying all Spring (not that we've had much of one in the UK) to grow separate areas of greenery for my girls and two boys and to try and develop rotational patches for them but have been fighting off the starlings, crows and pigeons who are seeing the benefits of the seeds and seedlings! My 20 birds have a good amount of room but I would so like them to have more greenery to forage on. We tried keeping them in our paddock with the llama and alpacas but they kept getting taken out by foxes (the llama was useless, I'm afraid). I feed them greens from the veggie gardens but it would be nice to get them foraging themselves. At least they benefit from plenty of protein from the numerous compost piles I have in their runs.

On my birthday last year Butterbean the bantam hatched out 13 chicks in my bedroom! Her second attempt building a nest there as the first time my dog ate all the eggs
A couple of weeks before, silver spangled hamburg hatched out 6 chicks outside (which I'm told is very rare). Rarer still, her chicks were commandeered by a broody ayam cemani who saw them and assumed they were hers. So the chicks had 2 mothers for a few weeks before the ayam cemani took over.
A few weeks later a single duckling hatched, who is now brooding on her own nest.
Honourable mentions/obituaries:
A lone guinea fowl returned to the flock after an 8 month absence. It took weeks for the remaining 2 to allow it near them, and they never let it sleep in the coop. Punishment for its desertion. They all disappeared one fateful weekend when the fox went on a rampage, I am hopeful they just flew away.
Indian Runner Duck abducted and eaten. She was a real character and sorely missed.
I could go on, never a dull moment!

Yes, we are still here living our busy, but now retired, life. Still learning as we go. We finally have learned more about buying young chicks and keeping a brooder. We also learned that, despite the seller's assurance that all the chicks are hens, we still end up with roosters!
I do have photos, but since I had to swap to an iPhone in order to continue to use my hearing aids with my phone, I have yet to figure out how to manage music and pictures with my PC.
I will visit later and update my story.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still have 4 isa browns pumping out 4 eggs per day. 🥚🥚🥚🥚

Hello! 🎉
My feather friends are doing well and I am too. They are all healthy now.
Although because of recent heat wave the weather has not been very comfortable, hoping it improves soon.

Hope everyone is doing well too 🎉
I am also doing well. Busy with my crazy flock of attitude but adjusting. We have had a weird, busy winter, adding 2 silkie roosters to our flock of 15 hens along with another rooster so obviously looking to rehome at least 1 of the silkies. So far everyone is getting along just fine together.

Good morning;
It has been a while since I've posted anything, but I have been reading those items that have shown up in my in box.
The chickens seem to be outliving the computers and phones over the last 8 years: I'm currently on machine number 4 & phone number 2, but still have 3 of the original hens , a bunch of their babies & nieces & nephews.

They've survived/are surviving lots of hospital visits for DH over the last 8 years, in some ways easier than the dogs. The chickens are always set up for 24 hours just in case - They have to be seeing as everyone is afraid of the rooster, who is actually a doll who loves being cuddled. But, do not threaten him as he will be relentless in trying to clear you off the property. He also seems to have a long memory.

Chris

Hi everyone. I'm from Istanbul, Turkiye. I have joined this forum to find answers to my questions about chickens. I think it was 4-5 years ago. On one day, stray dogs climbed over my fence and slaughtered my poultry expect one. Since then, I don't pet chickens. I will plan to pet again when I move to somewhere free of stray dogs.
Everyone, take care of yourself. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom