Chick choking?

Chickenchatter06

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
I got bantam chicks about 2 days ago now and tonight one seemed to have choked on the crumble feed, she was standing tall stretching her neck out with her eyes closed and shaking her head around. I opened her mouth to look inside and there was a clump of feed that had mushed together in the back of her mouth, I tried to massage it down and wet it to h make it softer for her in hopes it would go down to no avail, after panicking I took a piece of straw and tried to scoop the chunks out without hurting her and got almost all of it before she refused to open her mouth anymore. When I put her down she followed the others and began eating again before joining them in a huddle to sleep. I’m just worried and wondering did I do the right thing? What should I do if it happens again?

You'll get better answers soon, but something I might try in the interim is grinding the crumble feed a bit smaller (I think this is done for quail babies pretty frequently). You could also try providing the feed pre-moistened. I'd definitely keep an eye on her specifically though--if everyone else can eat the crumbles as is, she might need a throat exam to see if something else is abnormal. Mucus or an obstruction could be conplicating things... Hopefully she's just a little greedy and it's a one-off thing, though!

Back
Top Bottom