Chick hatched need help!!!

BVan1

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
We had a chick hatch today and it has a large red sack towards the vent area! Will it live or should I do something different with it? I have 2 other eggs that pipped so I can't open up the incubator!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240331-151018.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240331-151018.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 34
We had a chick hatch today and it has a large red sack towards the vent area! Will it live or should I do something different with it? I have 2 other eggs that pipped so I can't open up the incubator!
Unabsorbed Yolk.
Do you have a tea cup?

They won't shrink wrap if you open it. It takes several hours with super low humidity for shrink wrapping to happen. It's not immediate upon opening.

Unabsorbed Yolk.
Do you have a tea cup?

They won't shrink wrap if you open it. It takes several hours with super low humidity for shrink wrapping to happen. It's not immediate upon opening.
Yes I have a tea cup! Should I put it in that for awhile? It's the only one hatched and I turned the lights out around so it has calmed down and not moved as much.

Yes I have a tea cup! Should I put it in that for awhile? It's the only one hatched and I turned the lights out around so it has calmed down and not moved as much.
Put it in the tea cup, make sure it's deep enough that the chick can't get out of it. Leave the chick in the tea cup between 12 - 24rs to allow the yolk to finish absorbing.

So I think the yolk absorbed or may have ruptured. This is what is left. It looks like it is coming from the umbilical cord area. Will it fall off or is this chick not going to make it😕 it is very small. I have it in a small dish so it can roam around. The other 2 chicks hatched and are all good!

Attachments

• 20240331_183738.jpg
    20240331_183738.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 16
Remnants of the umbilical cord usually dry and fall off. Probably best to keep it separate until that happens so other chicks won't peck it.

So I think the yolk absorbed or may have ruptured. This is what is left. It looks like it is coming from the umbilical cord area. Will it fall off or is this chick not going to make it😕 it is very small. I have it in a small dish so it can roam around. The other 2 chicks hatched and are all good!
It did indeed ruptured. Can't tell if that's just membrane that was holding the contents of the yolk, or if that's intestines. A closer picture may help if possible?

I got the shell pieces off.

Attachments

• 20240331_184633_resized.jpg
    20240331_184633_resized.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240331_183750_resized.jpg
    20240331_183750_resized.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 14
Thank you so much for all the help!!! It's the smallest of the 3. Can I give it anything to help make it a little stronger? Maybe an egg or boiled egg. Or should I wait a few days?

Back
Top Bottom