Chick not growing or feathering out....

Mine actually doesn't have worms we did have that checked with vet.
I have noticed a little growth i my chick, however it isn't much, and its just the body not feathers. At this point I just try to keep her outta the sun, cause shes doing great other then just being small and a little fuzz instead of feathered. I worry about sunburn. It's about all I can do and keeping a good eye on her.

Mine actually doesn't have worms we did have that checked with vet.
I have noticed a little growth i my chick, however it isn't much, and its just the body not feathers. At this point I just try to keep her outta the sun, cause shes doing great other then just being small and a little fuzz instead of feathered. I worry about sunburn. It's about all I can do and keeping a good eye on her.

Good to hear she is making progress!

runt
normal growth
You can't tell too much but my thumb looks way bigger on the little guy there

I have a couple of runts at the moment, one of which also seems to have some sort of neurological defect that presents as a lack of coordination and balance. The other is just a really tiny chicken. He appears to be a roo so I gave him a trio of Orpington lady flockmates because it satisfies my warped sense of humor. When they're all grown up it will be like Tom Cruise dating three plus size supermodels simultaneously.

runt
normal growth
You can't tell too much but my thumb looks way bigger on the little guy there
I do see some difference. If she's eating, drinking and acting normal, time will tell I suppose. Hopefully she will catch up.
smile.png

I have a couple of runts at the moment, one of which also seems to have some sort of neurological defect that presents as a lack of coordination and balance. The other is just a really tiny chicken. He appears to be a roo so I gave him a trio of Orpington lady flockmates because it satisfies my warped sense of humor. When they're all grown up it will be like Tom Cruise dating three plus size supermodels simultaneously.
@ShanandGem your little one may benefit from some extra poultry vitamins. Some disorders can be neurological and/or genetic and this may be the cause of the coordination/balance problem. Sometimes a Vitamin E and Selenium deficiency can cause similar problems, so it may be worth a shot.

Just a thought
smile.png

http://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

Can someone identify what is wrong with this chick? Mother is a dominique and roo is speckled sussex. This one is slow developing the comb, chest feathers and tail. The feather growth is patchy and the neck looks odd. No signs of mites/lice, vent looks good. When I pick her up, she is warm. Eats, runs, plays with other chicks. Is this normal?

She was hatched in my coop with 3 other chicks. Separated from older hens. Just mama and 4 chicks.

Also, the chicks hatched 8/24 or 8/25 (I was out of town). Temperatures in Texas are dropping now, high 80's, lows 50-60's. Mama and chicks sleep in a tiny kennel. Should I put a heat lamp on them?

Any and all comments would be great!

Hi, I'm happy to of found this post. I'm located in Western Australia and the weather is getting warmer.
I have a 8 week old aruacana, and her big girl feathers are not growing like her sisters. Connie was always the smallest like a runt if that's possible. Sally her sister is so big beside Connie, she is happy eating, drinking and playing with the others.
Is there something I can done to help her grow? It's almost time to go to the outside coop, but I worried she will be cold!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/6
1/id/7601473/width/200/height/400

Last edited:
I'm dealing with a similar situation. I hatched out some chicks in the incubator they hatched on Christmas Day. All the chicks are growing super fast except one and it looks just like it did the day it hatched. It eats and drinks just fine. I do have it separated because the larger chicks trample him.

Here's a picture of it with another chick it hatched with for sie difference.

I'm dealing with a similar situation. I hatched out some chicks in the incubator they hatched on Christmas Day. All the chicks are growing super fast except one and it looks just like it did the day it hatched. It eats and drinks just fine. I do have it separated because the larger chicks trample him.

Here's a picture of it with another chick it hatched with for sie difference.
go get a bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. http://www.nutridrench.com It doesn't need digested. A great nutritional supplement. if this chick has Malabsorption Syndrome( some uninitiated call it "failure to thrive", this supplement will help. Probably this chick was born with a premmie G.I. tract. Now in a normal chick, the G.I tract goes thru tremendous development during the 1st week of life. If this chick's G.I. tact is even more immature than it should be, this means it is not absorbing the amount of nutrients from its feed that it should ( malabsorption). Ok so give the chick one drop only of Drench by mouth. If the chick is not perky, repeat every 8-10 hours until the chick is perky. Now add it to the chick's water. The water should look like very weak tea. Do this for the first 2 weeks of life. This supplement doesn't need digesting, it mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Measureable in 10 minutes. 50% uptake in 30 minutes. 99% unitization, all natural . I have been using it for over a decade in my poultry and collies. Great stuff! It helps jumpstart the G.I tract, provides nutrition for growth of muscles and helps restore the immune system.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA
After 2o years of study , I believe there is no such thng as failure to thrive. Unless the chick is defective in some physical way, what people call " failure to thrive" is nothing more than failure to understand and properly support the neonate's needs in timely manner.

Last edited:
Thank you I will go online and order that now. Don't have any places locally that sells it. The chick is perky and very vocal it just doesn't seem to be gaining weight. Eats and drinks fine. Hopefully this will help.

Back
Top Bottom