cataxy

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
just a few hours ago i had a baby chick (around 2 weeks old.) on my shoulder, and he was pecking my mouth. then he tried to drink some of my spit (i dont know why.), and then afterwards he shook his head and flung water from his mouth everywhere. he was gasping for air. slowly he calmed down, but i checked his mouth and his tongue was all the way back in his throat. now hes not himself at all. before, he was super hyper and always wanted to be on my shoulder. now hes just standing in one spot and sometimes gasping. i do not know how it happened or why. the flesh under his beak is bloated, and he sometimes twists his neck a little to the side. theres a lump on the side of his throat that i assume is his tongue? ive tried massaging it upward but it does nothing. his throat is completely empty, too, so its not about him choking on any food. its really confusing, especially because ive tried to look it up, and the few relevant results make it even more confusing. some people suggest to fish out the tongue while others are completely against it. im really worried about him. hes an absolute doll and it would be really sad if he died at such a young age. (i dont know if this is relevant, but hes a mixed breed. he was found by my neighbor who gave him to me and my mom to care for a 2 weeks ago. i assume hes 2 weeks old because he still had his egg tooth when we got him.)

here are some photos i have of him for reference, all were taken before this whole incident.
1620268184371.png
1620268254368.png

alright. ill try and then ill update on if it fixed it or not, i actually do think thats the case because my mom said she found a long hair in his throat.
bad news; he’s about to die. there was no hair. It was most likely that when he shook his head he injured his neck really badly. I’m really sad about it. poor baby.

bad news; he’s about to die. there was no hair. It was most likely that when he shook his head he injured his neck really badly. I’m really sad about it. poor baby.
my mom wrapped him like a burrito in a position he can breathe in, and then put him in a box to keep him in the position. he’s hanging on and there’s a chance he’ll survive.

Attachments

• 89C4829E-1F8C-48FB-897C-43C8E7C6C5F4.jpeg
    89C4829E-1F8C-48FB-897C-43C8E7C6C5F4.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 14
my mom wrapped him like a burrito in a position he can breathe in, and then put him in a box to keep him in the position. he’s hanging on and there’s a chance he’ll survive.
Does he have access to feed and water? Does the neck feel broken or something? I really hope someone can help you.

Does he have access to feed and water? Does the neck feel broken or something? I really hope someone can help you.
Once in a while my mom tries to give him food and water (he won’t eat or drink on his own) and I’m not sure if his neck feels broken or not. my mom has been helping me. right now in he’s in a position where he’s thankfully no longer gasping and just sometimes peeping. it’s around 8 pm at the moment so me and my mom are just going to wait and see if he’s still alive tomorrow morning, if so we’ll continue to treat him.

Once in a while my mom tries to give him food and water (he won’t eat or drink on his own) and I’m not sure if his neck feels broken or not. my mom has been helping me. right now in he’s in a position where he’s thankfully no longer gasping and just sometimes peeping. it’s around 8 pm at the moment so me and my mom are just going to wait and see if he’s still alive tomorrow morning, if so we’ll continue to treat him.
I hope s/he is better in the morning! Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom