Chicken attacked by fox

Rafa Veraza

Hatching
Jun 21, 2017
hello!
I'm new to this forum.
We have backyard chickens and this morning a fox came and attack one of our best egg laying chicken.
The chicken still breathing and looks like she is in a lot of pain. The beck is purple which is probably a hematoma from the injury. There are two small punctures in the neck. I don't know if I should put her out of her misery or wait and see if she can come out alive. I put neosporin on the wound and I have given her water with a small amount of infant Tylenol for the pain.

What do you all suggest I do??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 112
I'd give her more time before you put her down. Last month I saved a hen that was being carried off by a fox (when I shot at the fox he dropped her and ran off). She remained in shock for about 3-4 hours (not moving, couldn't even stand) and then slowly started to come out of it. Now she is just fine and her feathers have started to grow back and she is laying normally. Sounds like you are doing everything right so far, so please don't give up on her just yet.

I've endured quite a few fox attacks - can't seem to get the rascal! The hens that weren't killed right away seem to recover well enough on their own. I use some poultry wound spray that I picked up from the local farm store and put electrolytes in the water to help with recovery. I had a guinea that was badly attacked. I put her in a dog crate with food and water of course, and kept her in there for at least a week, spraying her wounds a few times a day. She recovered very nicely.

I had an attack two nights ago just before dark. My RIR was injured. I am not sure how he got to her, maybe a scratch through the chain link? IDK. I found her limping the next morning and found this under her wing. She is eating and drinking, at times I hand feed and water her. (greens, scrambled eggs and her regular feed) She is still not bearing any weight on her left leg. I see no evidence of a puncture wound only some missing feathers. How can you tell if the leg is broken? I feel nothing out of the ordinary. It got dark so fast I didn't see exactly what happened. She is confined in a dog kennel in a quiet place. This is my first flock and I am at a loss as to how to help her. I am pretty shook up about it

Attachments

• 20180902_085545.jpg
    20180902_085545.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20180902_085636.jpg
    20180902_085636.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom