Chicken coop plans

Everyone was outside again in the run because I had to add some things. I decided to make my own nesting boxes! Super easy to spray and wipe out. They’re screwed in with 8 screws and very stable.

I have a specific question. Do I really need a pop door? They’re using the man door and that’s working fine. I was wondering if I had to have one if this is working?

We will cut a pop door in the rear to the back area where they will eventually pasture. Work needs done over there, though first.

Also, is there a way to lure them into the coop at dusk without having to lock them in the coop for days?

Attachments

• 4CC968AC-93B8-4FEC-BAF8-19F3671129E4.jpeg
    4CC968AC-93B8-4FEC-BAF8-19F3671129E4.jpeg
    807.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 337C8E2D-5EFD-428F-9A5C-8AA410129327.jpeg
    337C8E2D-5EFD-428F-9A5C-8AA410129327.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 5
I would block off the rafters myself. Chicken wire, taut bird netting, anything that she can just bounce off of should work fine.
My husband went to the window to see what they were doing last night and she followed him (she seems to like him). She eventually came down with the other girls but I just don’t want her getting hurt.

Deep litter in the coop or in the run? An elevated coop is generally not suitable for deep litter.

Also if the coop is 8x8 how large will the run be?

How much sq footage will the vents provide? For 6 birds you want a minimum of 6 sq ft up high, but the option of more is a good idea for summer heat.

Don't dig down. Apron out. Have about 18-24" of "extra" hardware cloth on the bottom and bend it in an L shape outward. Here's a good example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481100
Regarding digging down for hardware cloth; I hear that going down is better than going out. Can you let us know why out is better. Is it because it's recommended 12" out and you share 18 - 24? Sorry, I'm starting a new build soon and gleaning from any and all advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

Regarding digging down for hardware cloth; I hear that going down is better than going out. Can you let us know why out is better. Is it because it's recommended 12" out and you share 18 - 24? Sorry, I'm starting a new build soon and gleaning from any and all advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

So, I’m not @rosemarythyme but I know that by going out 18-24 inches, if a predator tries to dig, they’re likely to start right at the coop and then work outward. The more cloth there is, the less likely they are to find the “edge”.

For us, digging down wasn’t even really an option here. So much hard rock to dig out!

There will be an access door inside the coop with a ramp to climb down into the lower run, there will be further run space behind without the coop over it. The specs I’ve given allow more than enough coop and run sq footage space for 6 chickens. I don’t understand the problem?

I don’t see why access from all sides is essential if my 2 access points allow me to clean it out and even climb in it if necessary to address any issues. I also figured those two items would serve to break some wind and allow further “insulation”.

I do have more land behind the fence but it’s too close to neighbors and unfinished and unusable. I’m not going to rebuttal your opinions on my small yard. This is my yard and what I have to work with. My coop and run will fit there and whether my yard is crowded or not is a matter of personal opinion.
I live in CT so we're not far away and this past winter was my first with the ladies. I don't have insulation and was concerned about an extreme cold bout. I have an extension cord that's run out to my coop which I wanted at the time and I now find necessary. I put a wall mounted heater in my coop "in case" it got really cold and I think I turned it on 3 or 4 times; all of which were really not needed. I was just more comfortable as a new chicken mama so I did it; but it wasn't necessary. As someone else shared, have the wide perches and you'll find they cuddle up so close together that you may think they're one bird. They're adorable

I can agree about having space around all sides if you can. Yes, fences and sheds sure provide a good wind block in the winter, but they also cause a wind block when it's hot and your girls definitely need as much air flow as possible in the summer. I was very happy to have the space around the coop in the winter as well; it's more functional to be able to access all sides .... if you can. We had a wind storm, with snow and had branches around one side of my run; having space allowed me to get them picked up. Even a simple thing like something getting stuck between the run and fence that may not be good for the chickens. But obviously... some people just don't have the space.

I like the motto: even if your set up isn't perfect... the ladies are always better off with you instead of in an egg factory.

I did use a water heater and that really alleviated a lot of issues. I then used the electricity this spring for a light to speed up egg production.

I'm having a new coop built in a few weeks. After a short time with your coop you may find things about it that really drive you crazy. My current one has part of the run under the coop. Be sure you have good access to it because the ladies will surely love being there; mine even dust bathe there now.

Also, think of functionality for you such as the height of nesting boxes and height of coop floor so you're not bending over 3 or more times a day.

Have fun with your ladies!

I live in CT so we're not far away and this past winter was my first with the ladies. I don't have insulation and was concerned about an extreme cold bout. I have an extension cord that's run out to my coop which I wanted at the time and I now find necessary. I put a wall mounted heater in my coop "in case" it got really cold and I think I turned it on 3 or 4 times; all of which were really not needed. I was just more comfortable as a new chicken mama so I did it; but it wasn't necessary. As someone else shared, have the wide perches and you'll find they cuddle up so close together that you may think they're one bird. They're adorable

I can agree about having space around all sides if you can. Yes, fences and sheds sure provide a good wind block in the winter, but they also cause a wind block when it's hot and your girls definitely need as much air flow as possible in the summer. I was very happy to have the space around the coop in the winter as well; it's more functional to be able to access all sides .... if you can. We had a wind storm, with snow and had branches around one side of my run; having space allowed me to get them picked up. Even a simple thing like something getting stuck between the run and fence that may not be good for the chickens. But obviously... some people just don't have the space.

I like the motto: even if your set up isn't perfect... the ladies are always better off with you instead of in an egg factory.

I did use a water heater and that really alleviated a lot of issues. I then used the electricity this spring for a light to speed up egg production.

I'm having a new coop built in a few weeks. After a short time with your coop you may find things about it that really drive you crazy. My current one has part of the run under the coop. Be sure you have good access to it because the ladies will surely love being there; mine even dust bathe there now.

Also, think of functionality for you such as the height of nesting boxes and height of coop floor so you're not bending over 3 or more times a day.

I ended up changing my whole plan! It’s all built now. Still has a few things to be finished.

I just followed the thread through to the end. It looks great! Does your husband do side work? Joking. Be sure to tell him what a good job he did!
Ha! He was so sick of this project by this weekend but last night he was outside cheeping and cooing at them while pretending he doesn’t love them. Haha. I gave him a few weekends off before we do the exterior. He earned it. Lol

Also, I have a radiant brooder that I could Mount if needed. He did insulate it, though.

Back
Top Bottom