Chicken Hatching Ducks Hatch A Long

Hi everyone! I’m trying something new! I’m gonna try to have my broody hen hatch some fertile duck eggs. First here are some of my friends to tag:
@JadeFarms
@EmmaRainboe
@My Pretty Pekins
@Misfits Farm 92
@HappyDuckie
@human1
@HENS-and-MARES
If I forgot anyone please tag them. I’m rushing.
I’m not sure how this will go! We may get 1 or 2 hatches or more. Maybe none! But it’s fun sharing this experience with you all! I have about 5 eggs right now. If this doesn’t work I’ll try again in spring around April!
View attachment 2517456
Hi everyone! I’m trying something new! I’m gonna try to have my broody hen hatch some fertile duck eggs. First here are some of my friends to tag:
@JadeFarms
@EmmaRainboe
@My Pretty Pekins
@Misfits Farm 92
@HappyDuckie
@human1
@HENS-and-MARES
I’m not sure how this will go! We may get 1 or 2 hatches or more. Maybe none! But it’s fun sharing this experience with you all! I have about 5 eggs right now. If this doesn’t work I’ll try again in spring around April!
View attachment 2517456
I had a Buff Orpington hen hatch some Runner Duck eggs some years ago and it worked out quite well, at least until the ducklings were old enough to hop in the kiddy pool - Mrs. Orp was not the least bit happy about that at first!

@JadeFarms
@EmmaRainboe
@My Pretty Pekins
@Misfits Farm 92
@HappyDuckie
@human1
@HENS-and-MARES
View attachment 2517456
I had a chicken hatch ducks a few years ago and it was pretty sweet watching her try to teach them to scratch. She finally gave up and scratched up the goodies herself and gave it to them. She also looked pretty disgusted when I gave them a small tub of water to play in. But she stood guard just in case they needed her. I did have to move the chicken and eggs into a private area for her to hatch them. Otherwise, the other chickens kept disturbing her. Good Luck!

I was just thinking of doing this with Moscovy Ducks. Do you see any problems with that? Will the hen be able to manage the chicks as they grow up. I'd guess there are certain duck things that they need to learn-- like swimming!!

@JadeFarms
@EmmaRainboe
@My Pretty Pekins
@Misfits Farm 92
@HappyDuckie
@human1
@HENS-and-MARES
View attachment 2517456
@10PekinDucks

What kind of chicken do you have laying on the eggs? We’ve got duck eggs in the incubator 3 1/2 days out from hatch with one already pipping. I’ve got 9 Golden Comets that are almost 1 year old. One chicken refuses to roost at night and we’ve given her a special nest on 2 unopened bales of pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom