chicken_raiser

Hatching
May 29, 2021
Hello! We have a hen that appears to have broken her leg directly above the hock. There is green bruising and she cannot move the leg at all - it flops completely and she doesn’t respond and grab things with that foot.

A few questions:

1) Is a splint that doesn’t cover the whole tibia worth it? We can’t get it on the higher parts without her getting irritated or running into denser feathers.

2) Should we use a sling, and if so how long should she remain in the sling (is it okay for her to sleep there)? It seems like it might be better so she is not lying awkwardly on the ground, but we’re not sure. If we do use one, how far should it be above the ground? We tried briefly but her good leg seemed to splay to the side and we’re not sure if she should use it to support herself at all.

3) Should we attempt to use any painkillers? I have seen wildly varying advice, especially about aspirin and ibuprofen.

4) Is there anything else we should do? I can provide more details if necessary.

Thank you!

I wouldn't use a sling, when I've had chickens break a leg, I make sure it is lined up, then I put a large tongue depressor on the front and back of the leg, then wrap it with bandage tape, then duct tape or some kind of strong tape. One of the chickens kept hopping on one leg after I took it off then eventually went back to normal, the rest walked just fine afterwards. I keep the chicken in a shed or brooder with straw (and food water etc.) till the break heals so it can be by itself and not have to perch. This is my tried and true way to heal a chicken break, but it is not professional and no success guaranteed. You could also take it to the vet if you want, I don't take chickens to the vet because I'm just not that kind of person, but If you feel you need to take it there you should do that, and they'll tell you what to do.

Back
Top Bottom