JaneandLizzy

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 26, 2008
I got the Chickengaurd door last May. I've been very happy with not having to open and close the door every day, --and so are my chickens-- but, I've been a bit uneasy ever since, because it does not appear to be raccoon proof. I have looked off and on for the past year to find something, anything in the world on other's experience with this device & raccoons, but there, strangely, does not seem to be anything.
I found this fella's solution for doors-in-general that could work with my door, but, even this has no update on whether it has proved to work in a real situation.
Am I the only American who bought the Uk's https://www.chickenguard.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1vGGgvzJ2gIVyiOBCh267wz4EAAYASAAEgKVxPD_BwE with concerns re. raccoons?! Has anyone else tried Chickengaurd or the hinge device in the video?

P.s. After researching auto doors a lot, months earlier, I changed my plan to buy an all in one metal door when needing to get one quickly. We have a hardware cloth/chain link run topped with old turkey wire, --a opossum got in recently, but, not into the coop.

I have a pop door, and did a lot of research before deciding which to buy.
I saw the Youtube video you posted, and agree it will work.
I did read a post about the Chicken Guard Door, and possibility of it being opened bu predator. The response was by the person selling them here in the US, and he said;;; Make the channel long enough and a board covering the lower portion so that a raccoon not able to stick claws to lift door. Those are not his quoted words, but that is how I remember the explanation. Sounded very reasonable solution.
If I already had that door mechanism, I would have made the modification as in the above video.
I chose a different door. Ador1 and am very satisfied with it. Had it for 1 year now. Gear drive so it stays in place well.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I got the Chickengaurd door last May. I've been very happy with not having to open and close the door every day, --and so are my chickens-- but, I've been a bit uneasy ever since, because it does not appear to be raccoon proof. I have looked off and on for the past year to find something, anything in the world on other's experience with this device & raccoons, but there, strangely, does not seem to be anything.
I found this fella's solution for doors-in-general that could work with my door, but, even this has no update on whether it has proved to work in a real situation.
Am I the only American who bought the Uk's https://www.chickenguard.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1vGGgvzJ2gIVyiOBCh267wz4EAAYASAAEgKVxPD_BwE with concerns re. raccoons?! Has anyone else tried Chickengaurd or the hinge device in the video?

P.s. After researching auto doors a lot, months earlier, I changed my plan to buy an all in one metal door when needing to get one quickly. We have a hardware cloth/chain link run topped with old turkey wire, --a opossum got in recently, but, not into the coop.

Did you fix your Chicken Guard door so it is raccoon proof? We have this expensive door and it has been great for a year and raccoons can lift the door easily???

Did you try to raccoon-proof your Chicken Guard door? I have this expensive automatic door and have had it for about a year. It has been great until recently the raccoons seem to be able to open the door.

Did you try to raccoon-proof your Chicken Guard door? I have this expensive automatic door and have had it for about a year. It has been great until recently the raccoons seem to be able to open the door.
If you make the modifications like in the video, it will be raccoon proof.
There are no raccoons in the UK. That is one reason they are probably good over there. I did not want this type of door, so if you read my post above, went with something better in my opinion.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I have the Happy Hen House automatic door, which is similar, sheet metal that slides in rails. I thought it was secure, but I'm certain a raccoon opened it last night and snatched a chicken. I verified they were all in the coop last night, and this morning I've lost one and there's feathers outside the door. The way I have it installed a raccoon could very easily lift the door. I plan to put a strip of wood across the rails at the bottom to prevent access to the bottom edge of the door for lifting. I also bought an electric fence to be installed this weekend that should keep them out of the run altogether.

I have the Happy Hen House automatic door, which is similar, sheet metal that slides in rails. I thought it was secure, but I'm certain a raccoon opened it last night and snatched a chicken. I verified they were all in the coop last night, and this morning I've lost one and there's feathers outside the door. The way I have it installed a raccoon could very easily lift the door. I plan to put a strip of wood across the rails at the bottom to prevent access to the bottom edge of the door for lifting. I also bought an electric fence to be installed this weekend that should keep them out of the run altogether.
Sorry to hear your loss:(
Do what you can to prevent those lil raccoon fingers from being able to grab and lift the door. I have raccoon friends around my house, so I needed to secure my coop and pop door best way possible. That is why I chose a gear driven door.
Just as a reality reminder, a predator will keep returning for dinner until supply runs out. They do it because they need to eat food. Everything seems to like chickens. Secure yours as soon as able.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom