Chickie loving pet hay??

cookie_chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Australia
my chickie loves her pet hay i had a box thats really big and put it on its side and filled it with pet hay.....

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

SHE LOVES IT ALMOST AS MUCH AS SHE LOVES ME!!!!!!!!

is it good for her????

Oh wish me luck on the 12th of April my first Choir Assessment i hope we get an A+!!

Good luck on your choir assessment cookiechick!

My daughter is in choir too. They are in South Carolina competing in a national competition this week.

Sorry I can't help you with your hay question though!

I heard that it is better to use straw verses hay, as hay tends to be more dusty and can cause the chicks problems from breathing in the fine dust and hay particulates.

I set my new chicks up on a straw bed when they came, but found that they could not scratch in it very well as it kindof weaves together, so I bought pine shavings to put down so they could scratch around in it. They were very happy with that! I also sprinkle some of their food around in the pine shavings so they actually have something to find for their scratching efforts
smile.png

One other thing I just did, but didn't post about it to get feedback yet, was to put a tray (like a kind of cookie sheet, but a little deeper (about 1.5 inches deep)), in their brooder with Hyponex Potting soil in it. At WalMart, I bought 2 cheap aluminum trays for $3 and a bag of Hyponex Potting soil for $1.70. I put some chick grit in this and mixed it in and also put some of their food on this. They REALLY loved this! Since I have the chick grit and dirt in there, I can now give them some little treats as well! I just add a little additional food on top each day (as well as in the pine shavings) and they seem very happy! Since giving the treats, they have been being much friendlier as well - much less skitish
smile.png

This has woked out really well for me thus far.

Anyway, good luck and may your chicks be happy and healthy.

She could possibly mean Timothy Hay. I used that plus pine shavings for about the first week with my chicks. I think they ate it. It's not really supposed to cause problems. I guess it's more like eating grass. There's just a minor detail. Extra grit or not? Mine are still alive, so I assume it didn't hurt them too bad, if at all.

I always have always used hay and have never had a problem with it I use mainly wood shavings but put hay in the nests and put some down in the winter. I would prefer to use straw but in my area its kind of hard to find. The hay is free for me so that's what I use. Pet hay, if it is what I think it is (bagged hay form the pet store), should be fine to use as it is mold free, clean and relative dut free. The only problem that I see with it is that it is very expensive. 5 bucks for a tiny bag vs. 3 bucks for a whole bale.

she's eatin it and all but she has no problems with it i think she enjoys it

AND WITH MY CHOIR ASSESSMENT WE GO AN A-
I EVEN GO TO DO A SOLO YAY!

and is there any specific way to hold a chicken?

Back
Top Bottom