Chicks Disappearing!

I hatched out my chicks in incubator, and after 2 days i gave them to a hen. One did get squished because of the nest box, now they are on the floor of a coop, separate from all the others.
18y.PNG

When chicks are brand new they are all wet and squishy. If she stepped on one, (and I know this is gross to say, but guts out) She may just view it as food. My hen here didn't eat the chick she squished. But at a couple days, if they get stepped on they can complain and the mother may move off, but if she steps on a new chick they may not even be able to peep, or struggle if stepped on. I see this hen taking good care now.

Another benefit of giving the chick a couple days old is you can teach them to eat, and they can go to her with a full belly. not to mention being on their feet.

I hatched out my chicks in incubator, and after 2 days i gave them to a hen. One did get squished because of the nest box, now they are on the floor of a coop, separate from all the others.
View attachment 3555169
When chicks are brand new they are all wet and squishy. If she stepped on one, (and I know this is gross to say, but guts out) She may just view it as food. My hen here didn't eat the chick she squished. But at a couple days, if they get stepped on they can complain and the mother may move off, but if she steps on a new chick they may not even be able to peep, or struggle if stepped on. I see this hen taking good care now.

Another benefit of giving the chick a couple days old is you can teach them to eat, and they can go to her with a full belly. not to mention being on their feet.
I also snuck my week old chicks under my broody hen. I did it last year too and it worked great every time

Attachments

• 20230620_132600.jpg
    20230620_132600.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom