Chicks head twitch

ChickoletteW

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
All of my 6 silkie chicks (5 days old) are twitching their heads, super fast! Pretty frequently. And also... a couple of the bigger ones who are starting to get some longer feathers are like scratching their sides with their sweet little beaks. I have the pine shaving bedding, swap it out a few times per day. I can't see any lice or mites on any of them. They have plenty of organic starter feed which I grind down finely. Plenty of fresh water. The temperature is 95 degrees in there. They are all acting like little sweeties otherwise... alternating between running around/quietly cheeping and snoozing. I bought some electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic supplement that I'm going to try to put in the water I think. I don't know what to do... could it be normal behavior??

I've never had chickens before... and one chick died today. I ordered 6 and they gave me 7 so I guess it's ok. She was sort of a lost soul from the start, injured foot from the day I got her, kept getting trampled poor baby. I'm a nurse so I googled, isolated her, took care of her pasty butt, watered her by hand and syringe, but alas, she succumbed. So I'm worried about the rest of these little guys.

Please help!

Could they be having respiratory issues with the pine shavings? I know some babies are sensitive to them. I use puppy pads until they are 4-5 weeks so I do not know about littles with them. I change the pads daily and it helps for other issues like bumblefoot and such.

Could they be having respiratory issues with the pine shavings? I know some babies are sensitive to them. I use puppy pads until they are 4-5 weeks so I do not know about littles with them. I change the pads daily and it helps for other issues like bumblefoot and such.
Oh that's a good thought, I'll steal some waterproof pads from work. Thank you!

I'm sorry you lost your chick. :( Unfortunately these things are all learning experiences and I do think it can serve to help make us better chicken-keepera in the long run. (((Hugs)))

I also use paper towel or puppy pads in the beginning, and I have learned that pine shavings are not the best choice. I found shredded paper bedding in the "small animal" section which is dust free that we are using this time now that they are past a week.

I also had some head twitching and read that it could be a symptom of wry neck, or poor breeding. I am administering extra vitamin E to see if that helps, in case that's something you want to look into as well.

I did nutridrench in their water for about the first five days for everyone, and I also gave one chick extra liquid B vitamins, but that was because she had leg issues. Hope they are doing better for you soon!

1st time chicken grower. I have been using pine shavings…ugh! I’ll switch to the pads. But they do seem to like it. They nestle into it. 😖

1st time chicken grower. I have been using pine shavings…ugh! I’ll switch to the pads. But they do seem to like it. They nestle into it. 😖
I saw a video where she reviews different kinds of bedding. The puppy pads are really only necessary in the beginning so their little feet can get traction until they are strong enough for bedding. In the review video, shredded paper was preferred by the chicks to nestle down into, for ease of use, as well as for being dust free.

pine shavings are not the best choice.
I buy the extra fine small pine shavings almost like saw dust very soft on the chicks feet not the big chips like the Big Box stores sell been doing this for over 25 years never had a problem and the pine shavings will keep mites and lice out of your booder and if you put the bigger ones in your hen nest it controls them there too just a thought.

I buy the extra fine small pine shavings almost like saw dust very soft on the chicks feet not the big chips like the Big Box stores sell been doing this for over 25 years never had a problem and the pine shavings will keep mites and lice out of your booder and if you put the bigger ones in your hen nest it controls them there too just a thought.

I'm not an expert by any means, and of course everyone sells it and everyone uses it. I just found this video really interesting. She has some links here to further research on the longterm safety of pine bedding. A person is free to do with that information what they want. :)

I'm not an expert by any means, and of course everyone sells it and everyone uses it. I just found this video really interesting. She has some links here to further research on the longterm safety of pine bedding. A person is free to do with that information what they want. :)
Thanks for the leg work I appreciate it. I’ve seen videos on different bedding before but this one is pretty good. I like the Hemp idea the best if I would ever switch that’s probably the one I would use. I’ll go have a look tomorrow on the down side of pine shavings it’s just I’ve had no issues doing it this way so many years using my method no sick chicks or chickens over the years I keep them. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom