eagerly new

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
K so. got chicks but they’re all a bit stupid. They seemed kinda weak so I gave them egg yolk like someone suggested, but they managed to get it on their fluff and started pecking at each other to get the yolk. Took the yolk away but they ended up losing fluff.

1. Will the fluff grow back? Will they be ok?
2. How do I clean chicks?

Below is an image of one of them and their resulting little skin patch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
1. Will the fluff grow back? Will they be ok?

The fluff will not grow back, but that is not a big problem.
When the chick is at the right age to grow normal feathers on that area, the feathers will grow just fine.

2. How do I clean chicks?

Chicks do best when they stay completely dry, but cleaning usually makes them wet. Wet chicks often get chilled, and can get sick and die. So leaving them dirty is often better than cleaning them.

You can wipe them a bit with a cloth (gently), if there is something easy to wipe off.

If a chick badly needs cleaning, they can be washed with warm water, then dried with a towel, then further dried with a blow dryer set on a low setting. If they have a heat lamp to keep them warm, they may be able to dry under the heat lamp after the towel, and skip the blow dryer. A brooder heat plate is not warm enough to dry a damp chick.

The fluff will not grow back, but that is not a big problem.
When the chick is at the right age to grow normal feathers on that area, the feathers will grow just fine.

Chicks do best when they stay completely dry, but cleaning usually makes them wet. Wet chicks often get chilled, and can get sick and die. So leaving them dirty is often better than cleaning them.

You can wipe them a bit with a cloth (gently), if there is something easy to wipe off.

If a chick badly needs cleaning, they can be washed with warm water, then dried with a towel, then further dried with a blow dryer set on a low setting. If they have a heat lamp to keep them warm, they may be able to dry under the heat lamp after the towel, and skip the blow dryer. A brooder heat plate is not warm enough to dry a damp chick.
oh, ok! thank you for your reassurance and advice!

Back
Top Bottom