Coccidiosis or Intestinal Lining?

Dale River

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
We are first-time chicken owners with a backyard flock of a dozen 22-week-old chickens (1 rooster, 11 hens). About 4-5 of our girls have recently started laying.

2 days ago, one of my daughters noticed a couple small spots of blood on the place the chickens exit the coop. (This could have also been left by an animal, since this flat area is accessible to wild animals when the coop is closed & locked up at night.)

Today, however, my kids noticed this stool, which appears to me to have mucousy blood, frank blood, & a blood clot. I have been reading threads and searching web sites to try to determine if one of the girls has coccidiosis. Does this look like coccidiosis or intestinal shedding to you all?

My daughters are outside now trying to watch to see which chicken(s) have bloody stools in case we need to isolate one/some. If it looks like coccidiosis to you, should we isolate the affected chicken? Also, do you recommend we treat the whole flock? We will take any & all advice/wisdom!
Bloody Stool A.jpg

Bloody Stool A.jpg

I recommend Corid for all your birds as well. Dosage for the Corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture.
I recommend feeding them layer feed only at this time. Do not give them treats nor vitamin/mineral supplements. Ensure all feeders and waterers are clean and feces free.
639-amprolium_1.jpg

Thank you for the recommendation & specifics! Should we not eat the eggs until a certain time period after discontinuing treatment?

Thank you for the recommendation & specifics! Should we not eat the eggs until a certain time period after discontinuing treatment?
In the US there is not withdrawal period when treating with Corid.

I do have a couple of questions. They are 22 weeks old, how long have you had them?
Are the pullets in lay?

In the US there is not withdrawal period when treating with Corid.

I do have a couple of questions. They are 22 weeks old, how long have you had them?
Are the pullets in lay?
Yes, we are getting 3-5 eggs a day right now and guessing that 4-5 of them are laying. One started laying about 4 weeks ago, and the others have started within the past week or two. We got them at Rural King when they were a few days old in April.

Back
Top Bottom