Cochin Thread!!!

Thanks @WVduckchick. Will see what the judge thinks!
Lol that was a requirement for the judge...soup can or pop can for size comparison. It actually worked ok because I put a bit if scratch on it for the girls and they nibbled and behaved. Then when Harley got in there he was too busy trying to show me the treats he had found for me lol. Got about 20 pics of him staring at a piece of corn

gig.gif

That's awful! No sign of sickness early on? Wow, I'm sorry
hugs.gif

gig.gif
that's hilarious!

Sorry for your loss
1f622.png

Brad had some nice birds at ohio

That's awful! No sign of sickness early on? Wow, I'm sorry :hugs
:gig that's hilarious!

Thank you all.

She wasn't too active, but I figured she was maybe a little scared. I found her in her coop sleeping one day and she didn't want to eat but did drink. As the night went on she became more lethargic and died that night.

My black beauty "Liza Minnelli" took champion Asiatic class.

"Sophie" took reserve Asiatic class.
To be fair I was the only person who entered birds in that class! Lol
Happy with the judges comments on these 2 girls tho!

My black beauty "Liza Minnelli" took champion Asiatic class.

"Sophie" took reserve Asiatic class.
To be fair I was the only person who entered birds in that class! Lol
Happy with the judges comments on these 2 girls tho!

1f602.png
Hey people don't have to know you were the only one who entered
1f602.png

If you don't mind, could you share the judges comments?

I don't mind! Here's for the black one:

Very nice.. Great full front and over all balance.. I would like to see a bit better tail roundness..in the cushion... but over all good bird.. She could have a fuller head but allowance here for being a pullet.. I think it will come.
1 st Black Cochin pullet .. Best of Variety , Best of Breed Cochin .. Champion Asiatic Class

And here's for the blue one:

This specimen is showing good color with even lacing .. would like the lacing to be slightly more definite but not bad. Her type is decent although she is slightly high in the tail.. she needs to be wider in the tail cushion.. has a decent head " asiatic " like... Is more balanced over all than the other pullet ..

1 st Blue cochin pullet .. Best of Variety Blue cochin Reserve of Breed Cochin , Reserve champion Asiatic Class

For my other blue girl positive comments were colour and lacing-big negative comments on her head and her stance(holds tail very high)
Harley the rooster didnt have many positives lol. Poor barring...legs set back on body making him off balance...stiff tail feathers... that's ok i still love him lol. It's funny because those two are my best personalities...just no looks ;)

Very nice.. Great full front and over all balance.. I would like to see a bit better tail roundness..in the cushion... but over all good bird.. She could have a fuller head but allowance here for being a pullet.. I think it will come.
1 st Black Cochin pullet .. Best of Variety , Best of Breed Cochin .. Champion Asiatic Class

This specimen is showing good color with even lacing .. would like the lacing to be slightly more definite but not bad. Her type is decent although she is slightly high in the tail.. she needs to be wider in the tail cushion.. has a decent head " asiatic " like... Is more balanced over all than the other pullet ..

1 st Blue cochin pullet .. Best of Variety Blue cochin Reserve of Breed Cochin , Reserve champion Asiatic Class

For my other blue girl positive comments were colour and lacing-big negative comments on her head and her stance(holds tail very high)
Harley the rooster didnt have many positives lol. Poor barring...legs set back on body making him off balance...stiff tail feathers... that's ok i still love him lol. It's funny because those two are my best personalities...just no looks ;)

Thank you
Where did you enter them? I know Cochins International sometimes has online shows

Thanks so much for sharing. It's great learning for all of us. The negatives are hard to hear sometimes, but a necessary evil if we want to produce good birds.

As much as we can tell each other that our birds are beautiful, an unbiased opinion is important too. I don't do shows, but now I'm thinking I'd like to find some online shows or something similar.

Thanks so much for sharing. It's great learning for all of us. The negatives are hard to hear sometimes, but a necessary evil if we want to produce good birds.

As much as we can tell each other that our birds are beautiful, an unbiased opinion is important too. I don't do shows, but now I'm thinking I'd like to find some online shows or something similar.

That's exactly why I took the time to enter. I think all chickens are gorgeous lol and especially Cochin's. So really wanted to see what a poultry judge would say. Reading the SOP and then looking at your bird to see how they rate isn't easy when you're not experienced. Putting them in a picture like this and being able to see through a judges eyes was very helpful.
It's funny because I always felt that Liza was the best girl I had but I had no idea why because I didn't like her cushion much. But now I get it...it's that big beefy chest and her "squareness" lol. She's a big girl too...7 months and just past 8lbs and not laying yet.
If you do this here's some tips I learned:
-Wash them with the teeniest drop of blue dawn dish soap (at least butts and feet) a couple days prior to taking pics so they get their sheen and fluff back
-use a qtip to rub olive oil or Vaseline on beak/comb/wattles
-girls are way easier than boys lol
-set photo booth up inside because it's unfamiliar territory and they behave better
-make your photo booth bigger than u think u need:

Exhibit A

When Harley finally stood up I realized I had made a critical mistake lol. I snapped 5 pics anyways and thought I'd use one of them but they were all blurry. I probably should have figured something else out and taken another round of pics of him but he was my last one and I was kind of over it at that point lol. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom