Comparing 2 feed tags - is one worth $10 more per bag?

How does their all-flock feed compare? That layer feed will be good, but unless you do the commercial 'all in, all out' management plan with your birds, you will at some point have some molting or taking 'time off' from laying eggs, and that's a lot of calcium for those birds.
Also, check mill dates on each bag, so you are only buying fresh.
Mary

How does their all-flock feed compare? That layer feed will be good, but unless you do the commercial 'all in, all out' management plan with your birds, you will at some point have some molting or taking 'time off' from laying eggs, and that's a lot of calcium for those birds.
Also, check mill dates on each bag, so you are only buying fresh.
Mary
Good point on calcium. I will be there next week and will see what else they have in person.

Who puts their feed on the floor?

I didn't know what to make of that.
I know several people in my tri state area who let there birds free range 100% of time, then in evenings/ mornings, grab a handful of feed and toss onto ground for them to sxratch / peck at and eat. Both on dirt floor and in grass.

Not all birds need to be pampered. We have to remember that a bird only needs food water shelter .. all the extra we do for them is our feelings

The Purina All Flock is a better feed. If you add oyster shells for added calcium you should be good to feed layers.

The Purina is better because it has corn, the other has only grain byproducts which means Wheat Middlings and DDGS as the primary ingredients. The means the feed has more fiber and less energy.

The Purina feed also has micro ingredients that help with gut health and digestion, the other one does not.

The mill feed:
I don't like how they recommend to put the feed on the floor.
That part and the mention of adding grains to it bothers me.

If I were you I'd choose the mill feed for 10 dollars less and not think twice about doing so.
I bought a local mill high protein layer feed that was formulated to be mixed with scratch grains, so I assume that's what this is supposed to be. Seems like the lysine, meth and calcium levels on that one are too low for that though.

Looks like it might say "for feeding to laying hens on floors", wonder what that is supposed to mean? weird.

I bought a local mill high protein layer feed that was formulated to be mixed with scratch grains, so I assume that's what this is supposed to be. Seems like the lysine, meth and calcium levels on that one are too low for that though.

Looks like it might say "for feeding to laying hens on floors", wonder what that is supposed to mean? weird.
Maybe designed for commercial farms or something????

That's kinda what I was thinking too, but that's a very odd way to put it. I wonder if English is their second language.
Yeah, it’s definitely odd. That could definitely be it. Or maybe they meant like the barn floors if they’re raised on the floor or have multiple barns of birds? Who knows.

Yeah, it’s definitely odd. That could definitely be it. Or maybe they meant like the barn floors if they’re raised on the floor or have multiple barns of birds? Who knows.
But why would someone design a feed to be eaten off the floor and how would it be any different than regular feed?
I would definitely have to call them and ask what that means, just to solve the mystery, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom