NewbieChicks414

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2017
Hello, so my sister in law purchased 3 chicks from a local farm supply store. We don't know how old they are or anything. We've had them in a homemade brooder with a red heat lamp. They've been doing fine but tonight I noticed the biggest one kinda freaking out. She's flying back and forth in the brooder like she's panicking. She is kinda panting it looks like, but she's not actually breathing through her beak just looks like she's panting because her throat area is going up and down...I'm sorry it's hard to explain. I am just so worried about them I want to make sure we're taking proper care of them but Google searches only get me so far. Any help is appreciated and I'll elaborate more if needed I'm just so worried about them, I care about them so much. We got them about 2 weeks ago and the girls at the store said they were probably 2-4 weeks old when we got them but they didn't seem sure on that and I believe they are bantams but other than that I have no idea what breed. Thank you so much.
Also I moved them into a bigger container a few minutes ago to give them some more space and I just peaked in on them and they seem calmer but I only looked for a couple minutes because it's so late here I'm just too tired to stay up much longer. But hopefully they were just cramped and they'll be happier now with more room to stretch their wings lol.

Last edited:
Yes, we have the light pretty high up above them and I keep it off to the side. I'll get some pics of them because I'd love to know if anyone can tell how old they are or maybe what breed.

I know it's not the prettiest set up but they do seem happier with more room. I tried to stick my hand in one picture to help size the chicks.

Attachments

• 20171122_121017.jpg
    20171122_121017.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171122_120950.jpg
    20171122_120950.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171122_120928.jpg
    20171122_120928.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171122_120920.jpg
    20171122_120920.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 12
And if you notice in the pics their water is full of bedding. I change the water multiple times a day and within about an hour they've loaded it back up with bedding. I'm not sure why they've started doing this. I'm so excited to finally be able to talk to people who know about raising chickens because I've been using Google and a raising chickens for dummies book lol and it just doesn't always give me the answer I need. So thank yall so much for replying and I look forward to talking to you all.

And if you notice in the pics their water is full of bedding. I change the water multiple times a day and within about an hour they've loaded it back up with bedding. I'm not sure why they've started doing this. I'm so excited to finally be able to talk to people who know about raising chickens because I've been using Google and a raising chickens for dummies book lol and it just doesn't always give me the answer I need. So thank yall so much for replying and I look forward to talking to you all.

looks like they could be ready for outside brooder they look about 3 weeks about.do they have small feathers sprouting if so they might even be 4 weeks.

that always happens when you raising chicks the same thing happened to me you just got to keep cleaning there water
out.

Back
Top Bottom