Concerns with eating culls that are ill.

sickbyc.gif
I'm sorry, I can't come for dinner after all...

lau.gif
I know it sounds terrible ,but I was thinking that the birds you buy from the grocery that are mass produced for meat and raised in such horrible conditions have to be suffering from these type things and I am sure are making it straight to market.

I have never been able to eat one of my birds for any reason. They become pets too me and it would be like eating the family dog. I have had to put one down from time to time due to injury, but still haven't ever eaten one. It just makes me sick when I think of the waste though.

It's generally not smart to eat meat from animals that were ill, unless perhaps you were starving. Even though most chicken respiratory diseases are viral and not transmittable to humans (with some notable but rare exceptions), they are often accompanied by internal bacterial infections which *are* transmissible. Generally animals being culled (or dying on their own) from infectious or cancerous reasons should not go to the kitchen. If a chicken meets with a sudden *accident* and you euthanize it quickly or can get it only minutes after it doed, you can genearlly eat THAT, although it may not be the highest culinary quality meat.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom