Coop for special needs chicken - ADVICE PLEASE

I decided to go ahead and use Thompsons water seal & stain on it. First of all, it is a right PITA to paint this thing AFTER it's already assembled.

Second...

purpeEw5dYmiLfEfON.gif

I think Thompsons should be SUED for how IMPOSSIBLE and frustrating it is to open their damn cans.... :rant

All done and sealed now (as best as I could...). Just have to let it fully dry. (Ignore DH's messy shop floor...) 😂

20220806_151939.jpg

Now the next question... Should I move it into place and introduce the hens this evening when it's dark? Or tomorrow after church when there's still plenty of daylight? What might be the least stressful for everyone?

Are you placing this in the run with the other chickens? If so, when you're sure the sealer is perfectly dry, move it into the run and let all the chickens become used to having this foreign thing in their midst. They will likely respond to it as if it were a giant predator with huge claws and fangs. Then later, move the tenants in when they've all calmed down.

Are you placing this in the run with the other chickens? If so, when you're sure the sealer is perfectly dry, move it into the run and let all the chickens become used to having this foreign thing in their midst. They will likely respond to it as if it were a giant predator with huge claws and fangs. Then later, move the tenants in when they've all calmed down.
Yes, it will be right next to the main coop. There's an area that's always shaded and somewhat protected from the elements so I thought it would be the perfect place. The chickens all hang out there regularly so the hens will have plenty of company.

move it into the run and let all the chickens become used to having this foreign thing in their midst. They will likely respond to it as if it were a giant predator with huge claws and fangs. Then later, move the tenants in when they've all calmed down.

I agree with letting them get used to it before putting chickens in.

If you are moving it into the run, you might want the chickens shut in their coop while you actually do the moving. No matter whether they are scared or curious, being in the coop will keep them safe and out from underfoot.

I agree with letting them get used to it before putting chickens in.

If you are moving it into the run, you might want the chickens shut in their coop while you actually do the moving. No matter whether they are scared or curious, being in the coop will keep them safe and out from underfoot.
Yep, mine aren't scared as much as curious and they are TERRIBLE about being underfoot... This is a consequence of them equating me with food and treats. They follow me like the Pied Piper

Just sharing an update... This little girl is still getting along. I took her out this afternoon to wash her underside and clip her feathers because they had poo stuck in them. Now she is enjoying some time in the shade in a nice grassy spot. I'm a little worried how she and her two coop mates will fare over the winter since they are forced to sleep on the ground... I put shavings and straw down but they inevitably kick it out.

20221010_152126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom