Coop for special needs chicken - ADVICE PLEASE

Something like this.
Features:
The coop roof lifts off. This allows you to reach in and access the hen.
The floor in the run and the coop is removable. Good for hygine and access to natural ground.
Build out of Marine Ply if you can. Fewer joints means less places of mites to hide.
I would use hardware cloth rather than the chicken wire I've used on this. Pick a heavy grade with half inch or less holes.
Make the run access door larger than I did. You need to be able to reach the hen anywhere in the run.
The sliding door to thhe coop can be lifted out of the runners and placed over the top of the run to provede shade and weather shelter.
P7261037.JPG
P7261038.JPG
P7261039.JPG
P7261041.JPG
P7261042.JPG
P7261044.JPG

Something like this.
Features:
The coop roof lifts off. This allows you to reach in and access the hen.
The floor in the run and the coop is removable. Good for hygine and access to natural ground.
Build out of Marine Ply if you can. Fewer joints means less places of mites to hide.
I would use hardware cloth rather than the chicken wire I've used on this. Pick a heavy grade with half inch or less holes.
Make the run access door larger than I did. You need to be able to reach the hen anywhere in the run.
The sliding door to thhe coop can be lifted out of the runners and placed over the top of the run to provede shade and weather shelter.View attachment 3205366View attachment 3205367View attachment 3205369View attachment 3205370View attachment 3205372View attachment 3205374
Dang it, Shad! Wish I'd seen this sooner. I'm already done with my lopsided barn coop thing, but this would have been easier. I may do the run part similarly, though.

Do you know the dimensions?

Dang it, Shad! Wish I'd seen this sooner. I'm already done with my lopsided barn coop thing, but this would have been easier. I may do the run part similarly, though.

Do you know the dimensions?
I don't I'm afraid and I don't live where it is anymore.
You should be able to make a guesstimate by looking at the scale compared to it's surroundings.

Ha! Goats! They do adore a good climb. Once I had a goat in a residential neighborhood. Passers by would comment to me, as I was standing in the yard watering, "Do you know you have a "sheep" on your garage roof?" :lau
Several years ago we used to live in a nice subdivision. On nights before a horse show, we would bring my daughter's horse to stay in our fenced backyard overnight since we would need to leave at 5-6 AM. Kids in the neighborhood would nearly wreck on their bicycles rubbernecking at the oddity... 😂. So I can kinda relate...

Love our two little goats though. They have their own goat house but share our very large run with the chickens. They help to keep some critters away but they'll climb just about anything they possibly can.

Wow! That is a splendidly beautiful thing!
Thank you! I still have to put the handles on each of the 3 lids but I was starving so I will do that part tomorrow. I have carabiners to hook through the latches so no critters can open it. It's pretty solid and definitely very heavy. My DH and DS will have to move it out to the chicken yard because I can't lift it.

Back
Top Bottom