Cornish Game Hens?

McMurray's description says they're sexed Cornish X Rocks, so that you get pullets (what they call their Cornish Game Hens). Kind of misleading because there are regular Cornish breeds, sometimes called Indian Game Birds. I have some of the dark cornish breed, they're definitely not what I would call a broiler. They're nice looking birds, and could probably dress out at an easy 6 to 8 lbs. I bought them as straight run chicks from a store that gets their birds from Ideal Poultry. Here's a few pictures:

Rooster
DarkCornishRooster.jpg

Same rooster, front view
PrettyRoo-Front.jpg

Pullet pictured with a Barred Rock
DarkCornishandBarredRockPullets.jpg

Quote:
I bought them out of the straight run bin, so I really didn't know what I was getting at first. I was rather suprised to learn what they are.

I now have plans to breed them for meat. Since they haven't gone broody, I'll probably have to hatch eggs myself. That's in my plan for next year. I believe they've just started laying eggs, so whatever they lay for now will be for eating until the spring of next year.

They were never really for "pets", especially since I have two more roosters than I need for the purpose and we're going to cull them for their meat.

Edited to say, I guess I'm using them as duel purpose birds (meat and eggs). However, they are not my primary layers. For that I have a black star (black sex-link), barred rocks, rhode island reds, a buff orpington (I think), and ameraucanas/EEs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the exact same bird which is the Jumbo Cornish Cross they sell.

Back in the old days, a Cornish Game Hen would have been a Dark or White Cornish raised to 2-2.5 lbs live weight. I'm not even sure they were always hens, because at that age you would not be able to tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom