Costco Canopy Run

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
My current setup is a 8 x 8 coop with an attached 6x12 run. I want to expand the run since we're adding more chicks to the flock (going to get 6 new ones, will have 10 total). The costco canopy is 10x20 and comes with the tarp roof and roll-down sides (which I like for rainy weather).

The frame is tubular, but I plan on wrapping the whole thing with hardware cloth. I will be adding a full size door as well with wood framing. What I'm curious about is whether I need to add wood around all metal posts for attachments for the hardware cloth or if I could just wrap around the tubes and tension attach to the post with zip ties. I'm hoping to not require wood framing all around (otherwise I'd just build a run frame). thoughts on this? I've seen a few aviaries and I think one coop run made from this but it wasn't very detailed in description or pictures.

For the seams (where the 48" widths of hardware cloth meet) I was planning on putting 1x4s horizontally (kind of like girts) for stapling those on. The door and frame I'll make will probably be a 2x4 frame or maybe to be lighter use a metal security door on the 1x4 framing.

The canopy replacement can be had online for 60 bucks. However, it's sloped fairly well. I currently have them in a "hoop roof" using pvc tubes. That has a heavy duty canvas cloth (opposed to Costco's plasticy feeling which is more slippery) and it's held up to 3 years of northwest weather. We don't get that much snow, maybe 1x/every 3 years. We got about 2 feet this year which was crazy. It caved in my roof but it doesn't have the rigid pipe frame the new one would have.

If the canopy is like those on a instant up/pop up gazebo type, I only get one, maybe two yrs if there in direct sunlight. They canopy your thinking of might be a better material.

Not sure you would need to add wood to the framing to secure the HC. But I'd use wire instead of zip ties.

My concern is how long will the canvas top last? And can you get a replacement easily and cost effective?
That was my first thought too.
Canvas top won't be predator proof either.

Second thought was, are the legs angled out or plumb?
Might be hard to mesh wrap angled legs.

Think about anti digging measures too.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Might work out fine.
Got a link to the product?

this is my costco run. the tent was picked up in a wind storm and most of the legs bent so they were all cut down to,4'. Tubing is very lightweight. I had the chain link and field fence so no cost there. I do not use the cover due to my high winds but do put up shade cloth over half of it in the summer. Your plans are a poor use of the canopy. it will require a ton of modifications plus it will be rather expensive to make all the changes. You are better off spending some time on CL looking for chain link fencing panels (I typically can pickup used 6x10 for $40-50. Free you can pick up old swing set and trampoline frames. You will need to do a little framing to give yourself a door and to be able to secure the wire
IMG_20190304_105939.jpg

Costco doesn't have the link online.

My current setup is 6 panels of 6x6 foot chain link squares arranged in a fully enclosed 6x12 run. I like the simplicity of the panels but I can't find the 6 foot size much anymore. One option I thought of was making a canopy myself out of the 1 3/8" fittings that you slide chain link style pipe through. Then I could clip chain link roll all alongside of it to make it fully fenced. I'm not really worried about the roof slope handling rain or snow, but the wind lifting it worries me. Mine has never wavered in 60 mph winds but mine is chain link so it's several hundred pounds.

What if I used chain link fence rolls to attach to this carport frame? Having this frame premade for $229 is a lot easier than ordering fittings and cutting pipes to size.

I could make a cattle panel run, but that would require wood construction. I'm also not sure about the size limitation of that. Seems like most are 6 feet high in the middle, which would BARELY be enough for me. Greenhouse hoop kits with tubing benders seem good, but then again I have to supplant with some kind of wire grate for added support for roofing fabric. In which case, it seems the cattle panels do fine on their own. I'm trying to limit that due to my power tools being jammed into a storage room in the new home. I have to have it done in April as I'm getting chicks and they will require separate living quarters until laying when they can be introduced to the current hens.

Buying more kennel panels might run me 250 bucks for the panels plus canopy fittings for the roof structure addition. I feel like, if sufficient, a cattle panel hoop design will save me money. And it seems they end up being 8 feet wide at the base vs 6. So a 8x 20 run is going to offer more square footage than a 6 x 24 (adding another 12 foot panel to my 12 foot run). I will have 10 hens so my current 72 sq ft is kind of OK, but pushing it in terms of space. NOTE: this is a fixed coop and run, not movable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom