Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

How old is he and has he been through a very cold winter yet? If not he will likely naturally be dubbed by nature this winter with frostbite. Of course that depends on how harsh your winters get.

I am in SC, so frost bite is not much of a problem for us. But, if I was in an area where frost bite was a concern, I would definitely dub him before frost bite got him. Frost bite is a very painful experience for chickens. I also would not want to risk infection on his comb, since I do not use antibiotics for my chickens.

Does anyone know if there are silver based marans? I am not very familiar with marans and all I am finding is cuckoo and black copper.  I want to make some sex linked olive egger hybrids with my Cream Legbar cock. Perhaps there is another way to do it?

I'm not sure if they're a silver type because I don't know much about genetics, but there is a birchen marans. They're very beautiful! :)

I'm new to Crested Cream Legbars. I hatched a pullet 8/1 and I'm excited for her to grow. I am going to read up on this forum to see what to expect from any crosses that might arise. She hatched with a Welsummer boy, a Wheaten Ameraucana boy, and a Buff laced Brahma boy that might be staying.
My first question: can a combination of crosses produce crested, bearded, feather-legged chicks? I love all three of these characteristics, and blueish eggs. I do have older EE mixes too.

Breed her to a bearded silkie. All chicks should have a smaller crest, beard/muff, and feathered legs in addition to 5 toes and a silkie type comb

I have a pullet that is half Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and the father is half Cream Legbar and half Black Star (barred Plymouth Rock x Rhode Island Red). She is black laced red with a crest and rose comb and she should lay a green egg. I'd love to change that black to lavender by crossing her to my Lavender Orpington roo but I don't know if the genetics works out (I don't know of any lavender laced chickens). I'm tempted to develop a new breed based on this if I can get the lavender laced red with a rose comb, crest and green eggs to be stable. She's so pretty!

I DON'T KNOW WHY MY PHOTO WON'T LOAD BUT I'LL HAVE TO TRY LATER WHEN I HAVE MY LAPTOP HANDY.

Last edited:
I have a pullet that is half Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and the father is half Cream Legbar and half Black Star (barred Plymouth Rock x Rhode Island Red). She is black laced red with a crest and rose comb and she should lay a green egg. I'd love to change that black to lavender by crossing her to my Lavender Orpington roo but I don't know if the genetics works out (I don't know of any lavender laced chickens). I'm tempted to develop a new breed based on this if I can get the lavender laced red with a rose comb, crest and green eggs to be stable. She's so pretty!

I DON'T KNOW WHY MY PHOTO WON'T LOAD BUT I'LL HAVE TO TRY LATER WHEN I HAVE MY LAPTOP HANDY.

That would be a long project. Not sure if you know but lavender dilutes red as well so you could make a lavender laced tan bird with rose comb. Lavender is recessive so you'd breed in lavender then breed offspring together and just hope that the lavender based birds have the rose comb/crest and still lay colored eggs. The pattern wouldn't show in those offspring so you'd have to take the best lavender bird with the traits you want and breed back to the laced bird, then breed those offspring together and hope the right traits match up. Something else would be leg color since white skin is dominant.

That would be a long project. Not sure if you know but lavender dilutes red as well so you could make a lavender laced tan bird with rose comb. Lavender is recessive so you'd breed in lavender then breed offspring together and just hope that the lavender based birds have the rose comb/crest and still lay colored eggs. The pattern wouldn't show in those offspring so you'd have to take the best lavender bird with the traits you want and breed back to the laced bird, then breed those offspring together and hope the right traits match up. Something else would be leg color since white skin is dominant.[/quote
Thanks! I was wondering why there were no Lavender laced birds out there. I was hoping that it wouldn't take so many birds and so many generations to get the right look...and then I pretty much figured it would take a lot of birds to make sure that I had both rose comb and green eggs. We'll have to see if I think it's worth doing after a few years but at least the culls can be sold as "Easter Eggers". I was hoping that the red would stay dark but it might be worth it even if they were only tan and lavender.

Back
Top Bottom