Cream Legbars

I've been pleased with how well my girls (now 15 weeks old) have been handling the heat here (many 100F+ days in a row). Some mild panting, but eating well.

Coloring comment, but not about SOP, etc. You know what I have found unexpectedly appealing? While I was watching them scratch around on the ground under a tree (chicken prozac), I realized that with their coloring, I think they are some of best camouflaged of almost all the birds I've seen, at least in my yard - I have to be pretty close to pick them out from the grass and dirt. Combined with their good/appropriate response to hawks or other threats (alert, run to safety), there's hope for free ranging them some (once I get my property fenced)... I'm loving this breed so far.

Here are some CCL Camo photos - there are three chickens in the first two photos. There's also a shot of Clarissa at 14 weeks (just because it's the first time I've gotten her to stand still). She has the best "hair" of the three...

- Ant Farm
Fabulous pictures Ant Farm -- love those yellow legs -- Clarissa has a nice long back and low tail angle -- it will be interesting to watch her progress and see what she looks like as she grows and fills out! Thanks for posting.

My younger group of CL, the now 13 and 15week olds, were broody raised so they will not let me get close for the life of them. It is soooo difficult to photograph nervous chickens
hmm.png
This is all I could get for today

Here are a few pics of my roughly 15week old cockerel (pics aren't to clear)

Here are my TWO 13week old cockerels again pics aren't clear. One is dark one is light, the light one looks extremely similar to the 15week old cockerel

And here is my super friendly and super sweet little 10week old CL pullet. Her name is Hashbrown and in the pics you will see her half sister Oreo, they are inseparable. They were hatched from my eggs in my DDs classroom before the end of school. They were named by the kids in the classroom. They were the only 2 to hatch and we took them home, so glad we did because they are the best :)

Oh and Oreo is a Cream Legbar X Silver Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhauben.

I've been pleased with how well my girls (now 15 weeks old) have been handling the heat here (many 100F+ days in a row). Some mild panting, but eating well.

Coloring comment, but not about SOP, etc. You know what I have found unexpectedly appealing? While I was watching them scratch around on the ground under a tree (chicken prozac), I realized that with their coloring, I think they are some of best camouflaged of almost all the birds I've seen, at least in my yard - I have to be pretty close to pick them out from the grass and dirt. Combined with their good/appropriate response to hawks or other threats (alert, run to safety), there's hope for free ranging them some (once I get my property fenced)... I'm loving this breed so far.

Here are some CCL Camo photos - there are three chickens in the first two photos. There's also a shot of Clarissa at 14 weeks (just because it's the first time I've gotten her to stand still). She has the best "hair" of the three...

- Ant Farm

I agree, the females feathers do have a good camouflage effect. It does help when thinking of free ranging and having predator issues.

I did however lose a CL pullet about a month ago, no clue what happened to her, she just disappeared :(

And here is my super friendly and super sweet little 10week old CL pullet. Her name is Hashbrown and in the pics you will see her half sister Oreo, they are inseparable. They were hatched from my eggs in my DDs classroom before the end of school. They were named by the kids in the classroom. They were the only 2 to hatch and we took them home, so glad we did because they are the best :)

Oh and Oreo is a Cream Legbar X Silver Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhauben.

Oh yeah! HashBrown is just gorgeous!!!
love.gif

Fabulous pictures Ant Farm -- love those yellow legs -- Clarissa has a nice long back and low tail angle -- it will be interesting to watch her progress and see what she looks like as she grows and fills out! Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I think she knows that she's pretty - she acts like it (sweet, but standoffish - which I don't mind, I'm happy that she acts like a chicken). I think she's actually the smartest of the three - first to figure out that standing in the ice water makes her feel better. She's also smallest, but her sister (who is her age), is Jenny the Piggy, so that sort of says it all... The other two (Jenny and Paula) like to get up on me while I'm sitting slouched and snuggle down on my chest for a good petting. I think they think they're cats.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Thanks! I think she knows that she's pretty - she acts like it (sweet, but standoffish - which I don't mind, I'm happy that she acts like a chicken). I think she's actually the smartest of the three - first to figure out that standing in the ice water makes her feel better. She's also smallest, but her sister (who is her age), is Jenny the Piggy, so that sort of says it all... The other two (Jenny and Paula) like to get up on me while I'm sitting slouched and snuggle down on my chest for a good petting. I think they think they're cats.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm
That's funny. -- if you weigh them -- I could cross reference to the Cream Legbar Club's 'data' on weights -- sometimes it is telling.

Love the idea of them being cats. Yeah Cream Legbar pullets often seem to have 'attitude' - and mine know what they want and think that they are elite if not downright royalty!

That's funny. -- if you weigh them -- I could cross reference to the Cream Legbar Club's 'data' on weights -- sometimes it is telling.

Love the idea of them being cats. Yeah Cream Legbar pullets often seem to have 'attitude' - and mine know what they want and think that they are elite if not downright royalty!

I don't have a scale that I'm willing to use for them (kitchen scale + poopy chicken feet = yuck!), but I was wanting to get one soon anyway, so I'll try that...

- Ant Farm

Finally!

After 24 weeks of waiting, my CL pullet laid her first egg (thanks ChicKat):

You all know how it is. Depending on the light and how one tilts your head, you think it's blue, then you think it's green. Right now, I'm saying OAC 101 or 102. Of course, the real fight is the temptation to stick it in an incubator. This is my first CL pullet, and the beginning of my breeding program. Hopefully, her eggs will blue up and when she's been laying fopr awhile, I'll stick her and my CL cockerel together and see what kind of offspring they produce. Hopefully, it will be something I can start working with. Thanks again for all the help BYC in general and the good folks here in the CL thread have been.

Finally!

After 24 weeks of waiting, my CL pullet laid her first egg (thanks ChicKat):

You all know how it is. Depending on the light and how one tilts your head, you think it's blue, then you think it's green. Right now, I'm saying OAC 101 or 102. Of course, the real fight is the temptation to stick it in an incubator. This is my first CL pullet, and the beginning of my breeding program. Hopefully, her eggs will blue up and when she's been laying fopr awhile, I'll stick her and my CL cockerel together and see what kind of offspring they produce. Hopefully, it will be something I can start working with. Thanks again for all the help BYC in general and the good folks here in the CL thread have been.
Congrats on the first egg!!! I hope it gets more blue after the next few eggs
fl.gif

Hashbrown is a great name and a really pretty pullet. Her crest color is such a strong contrast to her cream hackles, I really never get tired of the variations on a theme with the CL's. For such a full crest, it really sits back in these pics vs a crazy stand-up crest.

@ChicKat your stock sure has nice white earlobes.

To all - I don't know how anyone tolerates daily temps over 100° let alone wearing a down coat. Do you wait until the sun goes down to do your chicken chores? I have thought it might be helpful that chickens don't sweat, at least the feathers don't stick. Happy to see all the shady pics, looks like there's some relief from the heat.

Congrats to the new layers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom