Crochet "Chat"

Here's what I've been working on today! My first one was a practice and I made it out of acrylic. I read that it is best to use cotton so I stopped at the store and picked up a bunch of new colors in 100% cotton. Wow, what a difference the cotton makes!

I'm thinking of selling these to make a little bit of extra side money. They are pretty easy to make and take me about an hour right now, but I think I can do them faster as I get used to the pattern. I'm not really sure what to ask right now though. They are only single layer, so not terribly thick. They are probably best as a trivet. I was thinking between $5-$7, but what do you think? They are about 6 inches in diameter.

I may play around with making a double layer one. If I start making those, I think I could probably get closer to $10 each. I would love to be able to at least recoup my yarn costs these last few weeks (so I can go and buy MORE yarn, of course!)

I'm not really sure what to ask right now though.
It really depends on your market and who you are selling to. How big are they? I would price them at $AU4 for a coaster-size (it'd be great to put my tea mug on), $AU8 for a trivet/teapot sized one and for a double thickness (or just one lined with thick felt or something) $AU12 (or more if it was really heavy-duty heatproof, $14-$15).

I think prices tend to be cheaper in the US, but that's what I'd snaffle them for, if I came across them at a stall or market.

You could get away with using acrylic if you are using them as coasters-but you are correct to use cotton for marketing them as hot pad holders-as acrylic melts with heat.

Personally, I've seen these popping up everywhere, so I can't imagine there is a huge demand-but it won't hurt to see what happens when you try to sell them. If you do an Etsy search you can see what others are selling them for.

Good luck! They sure are cute!

Mostly I would probably be selling them to friends on Facebook. I'm not sure I have quite enough time to do a huge amount of them! But if I could do a couple here and there I could get enough to support my hobby, even if I sold them for $5 a piece!

Can I assume everyone is signed up for Joanne Fabric, Michaels, A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby?

I've been getting 60% off coupons for Joannes. We shop there quite a bit and they accept competitors coupons. Of course the coupons are only good for non sale items but we still use them. Of course we spend more than just that.

DW bought her new machine at Joannes. Couldn't use a coupon of course but did use one for her sewing table. It's smart of Joannes because we don't usually go anywhere else.

I don't sew but buy a lot of garden items there.

I have been using the coupons to buy the yarn for my GD's afghan.

You can also use the coupons online.

Well I was working on an easter garland. But my cat decided she wanted to play with it while I ran outside to check the mail. It was strowed everywhere and I cant find a few things. Ugh

But my cat decided she wanted to play with it while I ran outside to check the mail.

Yep, that's our kitty's favorite thing to do....turn your back and BAM, it's a cat-attack! He's been known to snitch pens, lunch meat, yarn (with or without crochet hooks), spools of thread OFF the machine, and dare NOT leave your computer screen on an Amazon order - you won't know what he did it to while you were gone!

Oh, and NEVER, ever turn on 'one-click' ordering from Amazon with a cat and a tablet/iphone/ipad around....it's just not pretty......!

Very fun! This looks like a great coaster to me. As for selling, I'd ask somewhere around $5 +$2 to mail it to folks...that's reasonable....and about the same cost as (shhhh), more yarn! LOL!
Hmmmm, I never thought of a coaster. That's a good idea. Though my GK's play with the woven ones I bought and I can't find two of them.

Now where is the pattern?

They are probably a bit large for coasters, but more than likely you could just take out a row or two and adjust the pearl decoration on the outside. I'll post the link to the video after class. I had to watch the video and then write down the pattern but it wasn't too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom