Cropping and Dubbing in 4-H

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
I would love to show, and even though I would most likely not have the space or time for breeding chickens, I want to ask a question. Is it required to crop and dub gamefowl in 4-H as it is with other chicken shows? If I ever showed, I would want to show gamefowl because I love them and they are unique, but I am never abusing animals in any way, so if I was required to crop and dub gamefowl that would be an immediate no. I am just curious as to what the rules on gamefowl are at 4-H.

Not completely sure, but I think it's still a requirement for showing Gamefowl to be dubbed if being shown. From what I've seen it's a disqualification if they're not.

But things may have changed, & I'm not aware of that change.

Dubbing isn't abuse, it's a common husbandry practice done for other reasons, such as away to prevent hen pecking, infection, & frostbite. I do this for these reasons.

I don't show my birds, but would love to one day.

Not completely sure, but I think it's still a requirement for showing Gamefowl to be dubbed if being shown. From what I've seen it's a disqualification if they're not.

But things may have changed, & I'm not aware of that change.

Dubbing isn't abuse, it's a common husbandry practice done for other reasons, such as away to prevent hen pecking, infection, & frostbite. I do this for these reasons.

I don't show my birds, but would love to one day.
Removing body parts for no good reason is abuse, but I am not going into that.

I wish rules could change and instead of dubbing and cropping, the standards for gamefowl breeds would be switched to them having to possess small combs, wattles and earlobes that fit the size of what a dubbed and cropped bird would have, but have it all be natural. That way no dubbing and cropping would be needed. Just breeding and simple genetics.

I wish rules could change and instead of dubbing and cropping, the standards for gamefowl breeds would be switched to them having to possess small combs, wattles and earlobes that fit the size of what a dubbed and cropped bird would have, but have it all be natural. That way no dubbing and cropping would be needed. Just breeding and simple genetics.
Oriental types don't require dubbing if you go for Aseel, or Malays.

Back
Top Bottom