Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

I'm doing very well!

Anxiously awaiting spring as well! I just got a whole bunch of seed starting supplies. Once my girls start laying I'll be firing up the incubator.
Hubby got the seed starting stuff out of the garden shed yesterday, so I can get them started. :wee

Oh, now that sounds like fun! Do you start most of your seeds inside or select ones? What breeds are you hatching?
This will be my first year starting. In my zone (3) things like peppers & tomatoes don't have enough time to produce unless they're well established before planting. I'll also be starting my broccoli, cauliflower & Brussels sprouts for sure. Probably the winter squashes as well.

As far as hatching, buckeye & chantecler. I need to get some new chantecler blood into my flock., so I'll be ordering some hatching eggs for sure. All of my cockerels ended up with some brown feathers from last year's hatch (recessive RIR gene rearing its ugly head).

I got an aerogarden for Christmas. I'm having no luck with it at all. Out of 2 different tries I've only had basil sprout, and it died about a week after sprouting. I just got the starting setup for the machine, so hopefully I'll get it figured out. I'm hoping that the water is the culprit. I've been using demineralized instead of distilled. Does anyone else have experience with Aerogardens?

I got an aerogarden for Christmas. I'm having no luck with it at all. Out of 2 different tries I've only had basil sprout, and it died about a week after sprouting. I just got the starting setup for the machine, so hopefully I'll get it figured out. I'm hoping that the water is the culprit. I've been using demineralized instead of distilled. Does anyone else have experience with Aerogardens?

No experience with them but I have looked at them and considered getting one. That's such a bummer that you're not having the best luck with it. Is it set up like a hydroponic system where you just add fertilizer to the water or is there soil too?

No experience with them but I have looked at them and considered getting one. That's such a bummer that you're not having the best luck with it. Is it set up like a hydroponic system where you just add fertilizer to the water or is there soil too?
There are pods with a growing medium, but primarily it's water with food. The one I got is made by miracle ground.

This will be my first year starting. In my zone (3) things like peppers & tomatoes don't have enough time to produce unless they're well established before planting. I'll also be starting my broccoli, cauliflower & Brussels sprouts for sure. Probably the winter squashes as well.

As far as hatching, buckeye & chantecler. I need to get some new chantecler blood into my flock., so I'll be ordering some hatching eggs for sure. All of my cockerels ended up with some brown feathers from last year's hatch (recessive RIR gene rearing its ugly head).
Awesome. I'd like to get some started here, as well (zone 4b) Last years garden was pretty sad. Not a lot of great weather for it. Hopefully this year will be much sunnier! I'm going to try cabbage again and try to realize my dream of making sauerkraut :D

I saw your post about that in the chantecler thread the other day. I didn't know they had RIR in them. I ordered some buff chantecler from Meyer Hatchery last year. They are the prettiest darn things. That would be fun to get some new ones in your flock!

I have tried to have a garden for 4 years now with little success. Hard to grow tomatoes in a rain forest. :lol: This year I'm driving to Yakima and buying tomatoes.
Last year I had some decent cabbage. The year before I had great cauliflower and broccoli. But I plant so many different things and just spotty results. This year I'm not planting anything. I'm going to till it and add copper. Maybe with a year of preparing the soil I can grow something in 2021.

Back
Top Bottom