Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

I'm back and bearing fresh from the oven banana walnut muffins. (Michelle, you beat me with muffins but you can never have too many, right?)

Banana Walnut Muffins Feb 2020.JPG

I have tried to have a garden for 4 years now with little success. Hard to grow tomatoes in a rain forest. :lol: This year I'm driving to Yakima and buying tomatoes.
Last year I had some decent cabbage. The year before I had great cauliflower and broccoli. But I plant so many different things and just spotty results. This year I'm not planting anything. I'm going to till it and add copper. Maybe with a year of preparing the soil I can grow something in 2021.
Have you had your soil tested, Valerie? I'd like to do that with one of my gardens that's surrounded by railroad ties just to make sure they aren't leaching any bad stuff into the soil. I grow carving pumpkins in that one now, no edibles.

Hey, @N F C ! We had a lady from Gillette come in about a well the other day, made me think of you and getting out of the arctic tundra :p

How are you doing?

Hi Meg :frow I'm doing ok, just getting a bit stir crazy.

We had a bit more snow this morning, totally unpredicted (again). It's only going to get up to about 21* today so other than chicken chores, I'm staying inside.

Are you busy at work this time of year?

I have tried to have a garden for 4 years now with little success. Hard to grow tomatoes in a rain forest. :lol: This year I'm driving to Yakima and buying tomatoes.
Last year I had some decent cabbage. The year before I had great cauliflower and broccoli. But I plant so many different things and just spotty results. This year I'm not planting anything. I'm going to till it and add copper. Maybe with a year of preparing the soil I can grow something in 2021.

If these raised beds are ever finished I'm planning on gardening a lot this year! I do struggle with tomatoes a lot here too for some reason. I can grow cherry tomatoes like crazy but of course they're not my favorite. I'm hoping this year will be different! Good luck on your future garden! lol...at the rate my raised beds are going up it may be next year for me too. lol

Have you had your soil tested, Valerie? I'd like to do that with one of my gardens that's surrounded by railroad ties just to make sure they aren't leaching any bad stuff into the soil. I grow carving pumpkins in that one now, no edibles.
I bought a soil tester last year for the ph balance. Not using rail road ties, but pressure treated wood for the boxes. Good local PNW blend dirt and organic fertilizers. The problem here is lack of sunshine and too much rain. I literally live in a rain forest and although the garden area is in the open, I have to fight fungus. In 2019 I threw out probably 1,000 tomatoes due to a fungus. Every year it seems to be a different one. So I just want to get all fungus out of the soil and start over next year. Copper is a good treatment for that. Then I'll test the soil again before planting. But for 2020, I will be buying OP's fresh veggies.

Where in WA are you? I used to live in Bremerton and work in Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom